General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator?= help!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 02:27 PM
Default Radiator?= help!!

on my 91 accord...ive just found a long crack on looks liek a manifold on top of the radiator...where the anti freeze goes in

yea its been leaking all over the top of the radiator and drips down a bit too....just these past few times after ive driven, the engine is so hot...its liek fumin and u can see the smokey air comin out fromthe hood...by the time i open the hood its basically all evaporated but i can see on the crack its bubbling with antifreeze....

oo and the other day very strange never happened to me before....my car was stauling at every stop sign or red light ...wasnt idling at all it would just die... yea well this lasted until i got to this girls house...turned it off opened the hood ...was hott again and the crack was bubling...

oo also the temp on the car is fine ...never overheats...or guage never says it is..

so should i just get a whole new radiator....or just the plastic liek tubing manifold to hold the anti-freeze on top of the radiator

Old 05-29-2006, 03:32 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Radiator?= help!!

replace your rad and since you are doing that, it might not hurt to replace your t-sat and rad cap (under $45 for both) If you keep driving your car like that, you are going to blow that head gasket and then you are up the creek without a paddle.....

Old 05-29-2006, 04:23 PM

ORIGINAL: Julian91

on my 91 accord...ive just found a long crack on looks liek a manifold on top of the radiator...where the anti freeze goes in

yea its been leaking all over the top of the radiator and drips down a bit too....just these past few times after ive driven, the engine is so hot...its liek fumin and u can see the smokey air comin out fromthe hood...by the time i open the hood its basically all evaporated but i can see on the crack its bubbling with antifreeze....

oo and the other day very strange never happened to me before....my car was stauling at every stop sign or red light ...wasnt idling at all it would just die... yea well this lasted until i got to this girls house...turned it off opened the hood ...was hott again and the crack was bubling...

oo also the temp on the car is fine ...never overheats...or guage never says it is..

so should i just get a whole new radiator....or just the plastic liek tubing manifold to hold the anti-freeze on top of the radiator

Julian...your car has been overheating for a while,, lost a lot of coolant and that's the reason why the top tank cracked ..lots of hot air circulating in top tank and very little or no coolant .
Anyho.. first thing you need to do is as adviced by YEU.. to replace the radiator, cap and definately the t-stat..... look for any other leaks ,, ( hose ) ..

after replacing all that, pressure test the system to make sure that there is no coolant leak,,,If there is a leak, repair as needed....If no other leak, you need to ASAP ,find out and repair ,, why the temp gauge inside the car never registered hot .. could be a bad sending unit, wiring or gauge itself
make sure you bleed the system properly, start car up, make sure t-stat opens ( lower hose gets hot ) and make sure BOTH fans come on..

Hopefully you did not do any internal engine damage
Let us know the post results..

Old 05-31-2006, 07:03 PM

yea thanks guys ...

so far i bought a new cap and rotor also spark plugs (put in spark plugs day i found wire disconnected)....

also there was a wire that disconnected from a prior install of a jet v-force chip...put that back together seemed to run just fine...
when i got out of school that day it ran just fine till i just about got to my house where it started doingthe stauling again....and then it really started to smoke at one point...so i just got it home as fast as i could and just let it sit for a while before id check it out again...well after engine cooled down a bit could see a lot of anti-freeze on the radiatior and then i just checked out the wiring outside of the map sensor..seemed ok so i took it out for a little ride just to see if it would start doing the stauling again...well this time no stauling at all...very weird...ran fine i even stopped on side of the road a couple times to turn on and off the chip see how it would effect it....no effect at all ran fine...

so now i just got to order a new radiator...prob get one off ebay or something pretty cheap...

Old 05-31-2006, 07:08 PM

oo another thing....what exactly do u mean with the T-stat?

Old 05-31-2006, 07:10 PM

also i replaced the distributor cap not the radiator cap just incase for confusion

Old 05-31-2006, 07:10 PM

t-stat = thermostat. This is what regulates the engine temprature and if it sticks closed, it will cause your engine to overheat and eventually melt. (aluminum engines do not tolerate overheating well)

Old 05-31-2006, 07:12 PM

ooo ok

Old 05-31-2006, 10:08 PM

Julian my man .. i am a bit confused here.......
You expressed concern about a crack in the radiator and car overheating now you are saying you replaced cap and rotor ansd sprk plugs ??

the car is dying on you because you got the engine way way too hot,,,,,,after the engine cools down it will not stall on you....
bfore you ruin the engine ( if not ruined already ) .. you need to take care of the overheating isuue .. replace or repair whatever parts are causing the problem
forget about plugs, map sensor etc etc ..

Old 05-31-2006, 10:24 PM

yea i gotta get that new radiator...

...about the cap and rotor and plugs..a freind of mine told me to get them thinking it would fix the starting and stalling problem...

but that didnt work obviously...yea asap need to get a radiator