General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 06:20 PM
Default Radiator

Hello All,

Yet again thank you for all your great replies to previous posts. Well I have another issue I discovered over the weekend. I found my radiator was low on antifreeze so I filled it up with antifreeze and it was fine, but then I noticed the next day it was leaking real bad. So I popped the hood open and found antifreeze all over the top of the radiator and the cooling fans. I noticed the overflow containor that I filled up was empty. So I know now I need to replace the radiator. The original factory radiator is still installed and it is a Denso. I found a new one at www.hondaautomotiveparts.com for $216.00. I also found radiators from 75.00 to 100 dollars at autozone, advanced auto parts, and ebay.com. As money is real tight right now I would prefer to go purchase the less inexpensive route. What would you do? Is there a huge difference in quality and or performance in the inexpensive radiators. I am planning on replacing the radiator this up coming weekend. I also was wondering if anyone knew where there is a step by step process on installing and removing the radiator as I have searched and have yet to find one. As always many thanks guys and I appreciate everyone on this awesome forum.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: Radiator

I have installed several aftermarket radiators and had good performance from them. Make sure replacement has the transmission cooler lines and correct mounting parts. It's good to side by side compare the replacement w/ old part.

good luck

Old 08-12-2008, 03:17 PM
Bowfin47
Unregistered

Three years ago, I replaced the radiator on my '92 Accordwith an $80 after-market radiator core... with no problems to date.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:03 PM

same here..replaced my original radiator in my accord with a $109 O'Reilly replacement with no problems.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:00 PM

Well guys I am back and I thought I was out of the clear with this leaking, but now it is leaking again. It is leaking from the upper radiator hose at the radiator end. I bought a brand new hose and installed it and I used some brand new screw clamps thinking that would keep it from leaking, but now I am back to square one with it leaking again even with a new radiator installed. I am all out of ideas. Does anyone know what they would use for clamps to make sure the hoses are securely attached and that it will not leak anymore? I appreciate your help. Thanks.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:51 AM

Check the upper radiator hose nipple on the upper radiator body. It may be cracked (plastic). The plastic ages and becomes brittle. Clamps are not that critical, so repeated leak suggests a hairline crack you are missing.

good luck

Old 11-10-2008, 12:29 PM

I appreciate it Texashonda. But the radiator is brand new. It did not leak for about 3 months. Then all the sudden it started leaking again for no reason. I am baffled as to why this thing does not leak for a week or so with the new hose on it. I had a hose on it that leaked after about 4 weeks started to leak. So I replaced it with a different hose and then it stopped leaking for a week and half. Then all the sudden just yesterday it started leaking again. Why would it all the sudden just crack when the clamp was not even that tight. I appreciate your time.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:55 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Are you sure that it's not just a bad cap?

Old 11-10-2008, 03:28 PM

Everything is less then three months old and it is still leaking. Thanks.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:36 PM

ORielly's has a radiator leak test tool that can be borrowed (w/ deposit). Perform a pressurized leak test to determine source of leak. If coolant is coming out, there is a defect and you must locate it to repair.

good luck

Quick Reply: Radiator