General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 02:56 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Radiator

I would start with a pressure checker you may be surprised where the leak is coming from. I just purchased the adapter for my1995 Accord from Amazon. My head gasket leak turned out to be the heater hose just above the head gasket on the head but my head gasket has failed also. I don‘t know the order of failure.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:59 PM
Calypso.Kid
Unregistered

I have done a recent radiator replacement a few months back and for what its worth, I was highly advised not to use screw clamps. Screw clamps work well everywhere on the band but the point where the screw is, which could be the origin of your leak, especially when the coolant gets hot. Another way to put it, is that a screw clamp will apply fairly even pressure around the band and less pressure at the point where the screw exists on the band. It was recommended to use pressure clamps that you use pliers on, resembling the OEM clamps, as they apply even 360 degree pressure around the entire band.

Another item, while you indicated you have a new radiator, you didn't indicate if you have a new cap to go with it. Its a good idea to replace the cap with a new radiator if a new one didn't come with it. As others have indicated, a pressure check would be useful as well.

Old 12-25-2008, 01:23 AM

Thanks all for the great replies. I have not had the time to look at it. It is not leakingnow, but itwill leak again. I notice it does tend to leak when the weather changes. If it gets really cold and I remote start my car. It will be running for 10 minutes or so as I am getting ready for work. I come outside and there is coolant all over the pavement. I am lost as to why it leaks so much. I will go ahead and try the pressure test as well as getting rid of the hose clamps and going back to the oem clamps that I need to use pliers to remove. The radiator did come with a new cap and I even have a new cap just in case that ones fails. But I know for a fact it is coming from the radiator hose as it only leaks at certain times. This is just odd, brand new radiator and it is still leaking.

Old 12-25-2008, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Did you perhaps overly tighten the screw-actuated clamp? This type of clamp has enough clamping power to crush the radiator end fitting and create a permanent leak.

good luck

Old 12-25-2008, 09:10 AM

I used to have the same problem. It was a defective fan timer unit.
When you stop your car, the radiator fan is supposed to kick in to cool down the coolant.

If the fan timer unit doesnt work, water boils and leaks through the overflow bottle, you can loose a lot of your coolant before temp gets back below boiling point.

Drive your car for a 10 minutes then stop the engine, open the hood and check that the rad fan is working, if not and you can hear the coolant boiling, then check your fan timer.

I fixed mine by reflowing the solder joints... could be also a bad temp switch... i believe there is a cooling system troubleshooting chart somewhere in the forum

Old 02-23-2009, 09:39 AM
Default Radiator

Hello all,

Thanks for all the great information. Adealdds where is the fan timer unit located and should I just replace it? I will look into that. Both my fans turn on, but it usually takes about 10 mins for them to kick on when it is cold outside. I replaced those clamps with the factory oem ones and it has not leaked yet, but who knows how long it will before it leaks again. I did check the nipple and there are no cracks in the plastic at all. I appreciate all the feedback. Thanks all.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:41 PM

a quick fix if u need to drive it an old tymer once said u can crack an egg and put it in and it stops the leak.HA i don't kno if u wanna try that your car might smell like breakfast

Old 02-23-2009, 01:12 PM

i think the egg idea is mainly meant for small leaks, not something that leaves coolant all over the driveway after only running for 10 min

Old 03-20-2009, 10:16 PM

Interesting........