General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator replacement question

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 10:14 PM
Jsk
Default Radiator replacement question

I have a 1997 Accord SE that needs a new radiator. There is a leak between the plastic tank and the metal core. Would like to replace it with an all aluminum or all metal unit. In my online search for such a radiator I have ran across brands that size wise were exact replacements (Silla, CSF), and one brand, Champion, that is considerably thicker then stock. It is a 3 row unit with a core that is 2 5/8" thick. I was wondering if anyone has had experience installing such a radiator on their Accord? In the least I hope somebody can tell me if it is even possible to do without major modifications?

Old 09-20-2011, 11:33 AM

I have a 95 Accord LX and Im in process of replacing the radiator. Went to a place round here called Pick and Pull and practiced. haha So heres what I have found to be helpful knowledge:
I matters if your car is manual or Automatic. The price is steep- I found a company on Ebay that is reputable and many friends have recommended, its called Aeon. Just purchased brand new Aluminum lifetime warrantied radiator for only 49.00 after tax CA). Free shipping. Price is normally 70 for used and 130+ for new! Also~ If you go with a thicker model you will have to get a specialty shroud thats thinner or be sure to have EXACT measurements for clearance of your shroud - I know this from considering the color fancy shrouds and radiator plastics. FYI~ difference between Manual and Automatic is an oil line going into bottom that the radiator also cools oil on Automatic. Not complicated-just have to have proper rad. Im fairly new to this Honda passion and hope I have helped, sorry I dont know more - YET.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:40 PM

i personally don't have experience what you are talking about but i would have loved to replace my radiator the last time with one that was all aluminum. when i got rear ended i had to replace the radiator because of how hard she hit me. make sure the one you get has a drain plug! the one i had to get because i had no other choice at the time since it was almost 9 at night does NOT have a drain plug which i think is completely STUPID but what can ya do.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

No drain plug???

I know a couple people (Saab boards) who prefer to disconnect radiator hoses anyway; then they suck the water out with a wet/dry shopvac. You might have to try that way.