General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

radio missing

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator

"sgull", how have you been - sorry ,off topic?

If you get stuck anywhere, remember if it fits it ships. So if you find anything close to me, I can get it and throw it in a box and ship it up there. Just an idea to cut down on shipping.

Old 05-30-2015, 11:00 AM

Okay that Pioneer unit Prospector brought to my attention is the one I decided upon. But Carid wanted 48 bucks for shipping to here. But found the same unit new on Amazon and got free shipping (yippee!) to here for a price of $59.95. That unit will be good for me because it plays mp3's and wma format burnt to CDs which I have a lot of, and it's got the aux jack in the front there so I can easily plug in my MP3 player too. As far as the install kit I just got that one off ebay I linked earlier.
Now I just gotta decide how I should go about replacing the radio antenna on the car which is busted off at the bottom. There seems to be various options/prices of course for that. One of those funky "universal" ones maybe, they seem to be a less expensive option than trying to go OEM, but I'm a little leery about whether it'd work out as well as an OEM. Might beat a coat hanger though. Not sure what to do yet about that.
Hey there poorman, been fine. Hope the same for you. Thanks bud, guess I'm good for now.
Thanks for all the helpful replies here.

Old 05-30-2015, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Does it have a power antenna or just a regular one?

Old 05-30-2015, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by poorman212
Does it have a power antenna or just a regular one?
Regular. And would want to keep it regular.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:40 AM
Super Moderator

I thought the "store" near you had a replacement in stock a while back. I don't remember if that was in a thread, PM or e-mail we had a while back.....or maybe I'm old and confused again

Might stop by there and ask what they have and if you can look at it outside next to the car?

Old 05-31-2015, 01:29 PM

No I'm the one that is old and confused. Indeed you are correct, poorman. Here's that old thread; I had forgotten about it until you brought it up: http://www.hondaacchtordforum.com/fo...antenna-56608/
Also, I even posted a "want ad" here in this forum (which I had forgotten about too, until now): https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...antenna-56621/
And I even dug up an old PM where we had indeed discussed this previously.
Anyway, I checked online and I can get a new OEM new replacement for $37.03 (including shipping to here) from one of the Honda parts online sources. Kind of spendy and I'm cheap so I hate to have to cough up quite that much but might just have to.
Another possible option I came across are these less expensive but rather weird kind I'm not so sure would work out: JDM 5" Black Carbon Aluminum Screw Type Car Radio Antenna | eBay
I took a picture of my old busted antenna. I think it probably already is an aftermarket replacement as it has a little sticker on it that says made in China.

I looked at the Car"parts" store website and didn't see that they offered any kind of manual antenna replacements for my vehicle either. I suppose if I could come across another cheap-a... replacement style like my old one that busted that would be fine, or will cough up the big dough for the OEM. Probably end up biting the bullet for the dang OEM though.

Attached Thumbnails radio missing-img_3412_zps7rekouwp.jpg  
Old 05-31-2015, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

That looks like just the "mast" has broken.....meaning unscrew the nut at the top and see if you can get the last bit of the mast to "un-screw" from the base.

If so, just get a new mast -verify threads and pitch - screw in new mast....done. Well I might add a "dab/coat" of silicone to the underside of the rubber part where it seals to the body....that part at the "top" of the car is "leaned in" - factory - and can lead to water issues...which I hate

Old 05-31-2015, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
That looks like just the "mast" has broken.....meaning unscrew the nut at the top and see if you can get the last bit of the mast to "un-screw" from the base.
Okay well here I'm gripping with the pliers what seems to be the broken leftover stub of the old mast. I tried holding the other part of the business firmly and solidly while turning/twisting trying to unscrew the stub with the pliers gripping it. It doesn't seem to want to unscrew and the harder I try to grip the broken stub with the pliers the more that little stub just crushes. Maybe this aftermarket antenna isn't made for the mast to be able to be unscrewed. Although that would be nice because then I'd just need to get a replacement mast as suggested and I would think those might not cost much, if I could find one.

Attached Thumbnails radio missing-img_3413_zpsnoi8kudr.jpg  
Old 06-01-2015, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

Could be, I'm use to the ones that would "un-screw".....my bad for leading down a wrong path.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:38 PM

I bit the bullet. OEM on the way.

Quick Reply: radio missing