General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio stopped working and found OBD2 wires cut

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 10:20 AM
Default 2008 Radio stopped working and fou

All apologies as I post this hastily without a lot of research (and for first posting this in the DIY section). My son bought a 4cyl 2008 Accord coupe yesterday. Everything worked and scanned with a bluetooth scanner, found no codes and emmissions were ready for testing.

This morning drive to have emmissions tested and radio works fine. Emmissions tech says he can't get his computer to communicate with the car. I take it home to investigate and realize the radio is no longer working along with the remote door looks and the upper dash display. Figure it's a fuse but can't quickly resolve which fuse it would be (please help there). Also find that it appears the black and red wires to the OBD2 plug have been cut.

Anyone know what fuse I should check and what [nefarious] reason someone would cut those wires and what pins I should re-seat them in? All help would be appreciated.

Last edited by tfossum11; 07-22-2019 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-22-2019, 04:18 PM

Upon further investigation it looks that the “cut” wires were leads someone’s spliced into the black and white wires; possibly to power some accessory. I’m hoping that’s the root cause of the short and have removed them and taped over the spliced area.

Contacted the prior owner and they too had a problem with the radio going out and a replaced fuse was their solution. I’ve continuity tested all of the basic push in fuses. I’m interested in pulling the under hood #2 ‘gang’ fuse, but unfamiliar with the removal process. Removing the single screw doesn’t make it feel particularly free.

if anyone has insight to the location of the radio fuse and/removal instructions, I’d appreciate the help.

Old 07-24-2019, 01:31 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by tfossum11
Upon further investigation it looks that the “cut” wires were leads someone’s spliced into the black and white wires; possibly to power some accessory. I’m hoping that’s the root cause of the short and have removed them and taped over the spliced area.

Contacted the prior owner and they too had a problem with the radio going out and a replaced fuse was their solution. I’ve continuity tested all of the basic push in fuses. I’m interested in pulling the under hood #2 ‘gang’ fuse, but unfamiliar with the removal process. Removing the single screw doesn’t make it feel particularly free.

if anyone has insight to the location of the radio fuse and/removal instructions, I’d appreciate the help.
Is this with the stock radio, or an aftermarket unit? Just asking, as sometimes with an aftermarket unit, the kill the multi-plex unit in the left foot well side. Sorry, I'm not much more help than that, but my Accords are the older ones.