General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cut o2 sensor wires

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 10:26 PM
90exaccord
Unregistered
Default cut o2 sensor wires

Hey guys i have a 1990 accord coupe ex. I bought it from idiots that had no idea what they were doing. They cut the factory wiring harness plug that goes to the female plug for the o2. The actualy O2 sensor still has its plug but the factory harness doesn't... Make sense? lol so there are 4 wires Yellow blue black black. I was curious if any of you would have an idea on how to hook this back up? I would go the the junk yard and cut off a new plug and just wire it back in but there are no ex accords at the yard here. or does any one have on they can hook me up with.. Let me know.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:20 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

You should be able to cut a plug off of just about any Honda in the yard and solder the wires together. I say solder, because any sort of resistance could throw off the sensor reading (especially the primary sensor in the exhaust manifold)

Old 04-03-2009, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator

1990 only has one sensor, & it might be down in the pipe just aft of the oilpan.

Look in the DIY board for a sticky post about repair manuals. If you find one there for similar year, it'll have the wiring drawings. Those manuals are a pain because mostly they aren't indexed.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:21 AM
90exaccord
Unregistered

Originally Posted by finch13
You should be able to cut a plug off of just about any Honda in the yard and solder the wires together. I say solder, because any sort of resistance could throw off the sensor reading (especially the primary sensor in the exhaust manifold)
When i was at the yard i found a 4 door lx and i check the sensor wires and it was a fat grey one and a white and a green and a blue i think i just know it was diffrent from mine.. All i really need to know is which is positive and negitive i guess i dont wanna play the guessing game and trying to just put them together. But if it comes down to that i will i guess. I better buy a lot of fuses lol

Old 04-03-2009, 09:55 AM

As long as it has the same number of wire and pins on the connect (and the connector fits), you could buy a new O2 sensor, use the plug and wires for reference, then solder the new conector to be the same, just with different colored wires. Then, when you're all done, return the sensor and get your money back.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

No, it sounds like the car's wiring harness is cut.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:44 PM
90exaccord
Unregistered

Originally Posted by JimBlake
No, it sounds like the car's wiring harness is cut.
Correct it not the o2 sensor its the actual wiring harness.. I dont get why people have to half *** stuff. Ill tell you wat tho.. I bought this car for 500 bucks and its pretty clean. They couldnt figure out why it wouldnt start.. The o2 sensor wires grounded out and poped the ecu fuse under the hood! how lucky is that! haha

Old 04-03-2009, 01:50 PM

I know the harness is cut, what I meant was, grab the plug with pigtail from the yard, and use the sensor from the parts store to figure out what pin goes to what wire, since you said the wires were different colors on the plugs you found. That way, you can be sure you solder the correct wires on the plug to the cut harness.

Is that easier to understand? Makes sense in my head...but a pin out of the sensor on paper would make life easier.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

Wire colors on the sensor side of that plug don't match the wire colors on the car side. So I think you need the pinout drawing from the repair manual.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:38 PM
90exaccord
Unregistered

i just started guessing wires to wires and it worked i got it my second try! no more check engine light and it runs a lot better!