General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

rear disk brake conversion on a 1998 honda accord lx 2.3l

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 03:11 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default rear disk brake conversion on a 1998 honda accord lx 2.3l

i wanted to do a rear disc brake conversion but i am not sure what i need exactly i know it a strait bolt on process and i want to stay 4 lug all around so i will need parts from an accord ex 2.3l.

if anyone knows exactly what parts i need can they give me Honda part numbers if i'm going to do this it will be with new OEM parts. any help is appreciated.

Old 12-15-2015, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

I think that doing the conversion would be a pain, because you may need a lot more parts than you realize.

Is there a specific reason you want to swap the brakes? The front brakes do most of the stopping and rear drums/shoes last a very long time.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:16 AM

Additionally, drum brakes, if properly adjusted actually have better stopping power for your generation. The surface area of shoe to drum contact is significantly greater then the pad to rotor contact on the disk style.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Turtlehead
Additionally, drum brakes, if properly adjusted actually have better stopping power for your generation. The surface area of shoe to drum contact is significantly greater then the pad to rotor contact on the disk style.
Surface area differences between drum brakes and disc brakes are always in favor of disc, regardless of stopping power. The fact is, disc brakes for any given application will always have more stopping power.

The above said, drum brakes on the rear of a FWD vehicle have more than enough stopping power due to weight transfer.

Old 12-21-2015, 06:47 PM
Newest Of Newbies

i more or less want them for easy maintenance and for looks. also given its age as well as ive never replaced anything back there other then the bakes i think its close to needing new bushings all around and doing the conversion is #1 bolt on and #2 repairing old parts so if i can get a full parts number list of what i need it would be very helpful not the why bother, or its expensive, or just do this instead posts. i would like a constructive post to help me with what i am doing. 4 lug rear disc brake conversion all 1998 honda accord ex parts. should include trail arms, rotors, calipers, knuckles, bearings, rear lower arms, all bushings (if not included in the parts themselves), and a new master cylinder. and any other parts i may be missing on this list.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

My best advice is to go to a site like hondapartsnow.com and look at the oem part numbers for your accord and a donor accord from the same generation. If a part number is different, then you would likely have to change it.

You had a pretty good list to look at. Also look at the brake lines, and the emergency brake cable. I can't remember how the frame/subframe is setup in the rear, so look at that too.