General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Rear Door Latch Broken 2005 Accord HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 07:02 AM
Unhappy Rear Door Latch Broken 2005 Accord HELP!

Hey every one, found this forum last night trying to find a solution to my problem.

The other day I tried to fix the squeaky window on the rear driver side door of my 2005 Accord. Sadly I couldn't find any information on how to take the door panel off for this generation Accord (google fail) so I had to wing it.

In the process I broke two things. One I could fix (plastic stud snapped when trying to pull the door off, a bit of epoxy and 4 hours later, good as new), the other I can't. I did manage to fix the window however, some grit was in the seal, and simple removing the seal and wiping it off fixed the squeak.

Two questions: 1) WHY ARE THE DOOR PIECES SO DANG FRAGILE?

And 2) the piece I can't fix is this little green plastic piece on the cable that goes to the door latch. It also snapped in two when removing the door panel and now the inside door handle doesn't work. How do I replace the cable? It snakes it's way back under the white seal that covers the door mechanisms behind the panel.

The fragility of the components involved has me shocked. These pieces broke so easily that I don't want to attempt any more "fixes" on this thing until I have step by step instructions. Any assistance I could get in that direction would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:52 AM
Default How do I change the inside door latch cable?

This is exactly what I didn't do, and exactly what I broke. How do I replace this cable?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
GMANCRX
Newest Of Newbies
2005 Honda Accord

BEWARE!!! it is nearly impossible to remove the door panels without KNOWING the trick! To release the inside door latch cable from the inside handle, DO NOT pull the handle out of the door (just unscrew it). Leave it snapped into the door panel, lay under the door panel pulled away from the inside metal skin. Reach up and remove the door latch clip and cable from the plastic inside latch handle. Honda leaves ZERO clearance for that cable to be pulled out so you can release the cable without laying on the ground under the door panel. If you pull too hard trying to remove the cable from the latch, the green cable guide WILL BREAK!!!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Attached Images