General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Fog Light is always on

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 05:10 AM
Angry Rear Fog Light is always on

hello guys.
I have Honda accord coupe 99 2.0 5g Manual. And one day my rear fog light didnt turn off. Button shows that the light is on(orange light) and the fog light back in the car is on. They wont turn off even when i completely removed the button from wires and turned off the car. THEY STAYS ONN. They turn off only when i remove fuse from passengers side fuse box. I checked relays on the both fuse boxes(removed all of them) and the light is still on. Any ideas?
Thank you Sorry for my English i am Russian

Old 02-09-2014, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to HAF.

Here in the US we don't have rear fog lights so this might be hard to answer.

When I was reading this my first thought is/was a stuck relay and I see that you are thinking the same. In the US the 98-02 Accords have two fuse boxes inside the car drivers and pass side). Also there is another set of relays under the hood.

But again without a wire diagram of the rear fog set up I can't say where the relay might be....it may not even be in one of the "fuse boxes"?

Old 02-09-2014, 03:41 PM

Hi i have checked both side boxes. Removed all relays but the fog light still was on . Checked all of them under the hood(nothing says about the fog lights in there) will try to remove all of them that somehow got connection to the lights tomorrow. Starting to think that something wrong with multiplex block. If someone got any ideas please write. I have electronic manual but nothing in there about rear fog light only about front ones

Old 02-09-2014, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator

We don't have those in the US, so were those fog lights an accessory or come out of the factory with them installed?

You will need a wiring diagram to figure out the wiring setup and component locations. The US accord manual does not have that information. You may be able to find the relay by tracing the wiring from the fog light switch back or may be from the fog lights in the rear?

Old 02-10-2014, 12:45 AM

It came from the factory like that. In EU wee need the rear fog lite because without the rear fog light you cannot pass the MOT. I will try to track all wiring

Old 02-10-2014, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator

Your electronic download repair manual probably comes from a country that doesn't require the rear fog lamp??

Old 02-10-2014, 10:23 AM

JimBlake Probably yes I found only that manual

Old 02-10-2014, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

Is the rear fog light incorporated as part of the taillight lenses (e.g., with brake/tail light) or is it separately located in the rear bumper?

Does the rear fog light operate on a separate fog light switch (e.g., turns on with front fog lights or by itself on a separate push button switch) or is it part of the combination light switch with the headlights/parking lights?

Old 02-10-2014, 01:40 PM

Rear Fog light located on the left side of the trunk.Fog lights have seperate stock button and working only when i turn on the low beams. NOW they work allways (

Found in the manual for accord 4 doors that the fog ligth doesent have relay signal from the button goes to the multiplex box on passengers side. In few days will get another one and try to replace with my one.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I found attached wiring diagram for 94-97 Honda Accord KG & KE models. Yours is likely very similar. Looks to be very simple, w/ no relay so not surprising that relay removal did not impact.

Based on this wiring diagram, only way for fog light to remain on is a shorted red/grn to a hot wire after the switch. I assume rear fog light switch was completely removed and still had fog light on?

good luck

Attached Files

Quick Reply: Rear Fog Light is always on