General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Rear Passenger Door Won't open from inside

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 05:29 PM
Default Rear Passenger Door Won't open from inside

Greetings...

2003 accord sedan ex v6

Today I had a friend try and get out of the car (rear passenger side door) and the lever wouldn't work from the inside.

First thing I checked was the child safety switch -- which was in the correct toggle position. I actually tried toggling back and forth a couple times and still no dice with the inner lever.

The door opens fine from the outside just fine. There seems to be cable tension on the inside lever. Could the cable assembly have come undone from the door latch assembly somehow, or possibly the child safety switch has gone bad...?

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Info on how to get this door panel out would really be appreciated. I've seen some posts about this, but haven't come up with the specifics quite yet. Thanks in advance.

ps...also i noticed that the silly "chrome plating" was coming off my inner door handle. Anyone know where to get a replacement for this as well?

Old 03-25-2010, 05:59 AM

Pop the inner handle off and see if it got disconnected somehow.

You can pick up a new one from honda, or from a junk yard, or prolly online.

Hope that helps!

Old 03-25-2010, 09:59 AM

Thanks for the reply. Is that a plastic plate with screws underneath or something? Though I'll be giving it a shot, I can still hear a noise down by the door latch when I actuate the lever, so I'm leaning towards it not being the lever - cable connection; though I'll never be able to tell until I get into the door panel. Anyone out there have a link or some instructions on how to get the rear door panel out?

Thanks!

ps...I found one online for like 5 bucks -- with 15 dollar shipping/handling!

Old 03-25-2010, 10:46 AM

I found an article online with some relevancy...

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...r-drivers-side

Old 03-25-2010, 11:22 AM

It's actually really easy to take the entire panel off. Just remove the black plastic "corner piece" (up by the window - it attaches with a little reuseable clip), then the handle (one screw), then remove the "lever" assembly (one screw). Then it just pops off (there are plastic rivets that hold the panel on. Just pull on the panel at any given (bottom) corner and it should start popping off). Disconnect the wire harness' and you should be good! The funny thing is that I actually did this the other day. Too bad I didn't take any pictures!!

If you plan on being a DIY'er, there's no better place to start than here. I say go for it!

Last edited by chip; 03-26-2010 at 08:30 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:40 PM
Supper Moderator

This happened to my cb7 a while back. I had to delete my child safety to open door...but mine wouldn’t open from the inside or the outside.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:26 AM

Sounds good, I'll let you know as I get to it -- possibly this weekend. Anyone recommend a trim removal tool for doing this sort of thing or can you get away with a screwdriver or something?

G22, By delete, do you mean destroy, remove, obliterate?

Old 03-26-2010, 08:33 AM

Any parts store should have the trim tool, but I just use my fingers. It's really not that hard. If you use a screwdriver, BE CAREFUL, or else you'll gouge the paint!

Old 03-26-2010, 10:05 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

could be that the rod holing clip ( rod that goes from inner handle to latch ) is broken ,, i have seen it a few times .....Honda dealer sells those , cost is about 3-4 dollars

Old 03-26-2010, 01:58 PM

Just inserting some reference schematics I found online...

All #'s have associated p/n's which I could look up and order. Sweet. Honda actually has got it together nicely.

Attached Thumbnails Rear Passenger Door Won't open from inside-sda4b3920.jpg   Rear Passenger Door Won't open from inside-sda4b5410c.jpg  

Quick Reply: Rear Passenger Door Won't open from inside