General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear speaker not working...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 11:47 PM
Default rear speaker not working...

While I was driving home the other day, I noticed my speakers sounded different. The left rear speaker only plays really high notes sometimes and other times it is normal and plays the base with the highs. I tried to see if it was a connection problem but everything was connected properly from what I could tell. Whats more, is the speaker will actually stop playing the base when I am driving and start right back up playing base in a couple minutes and then stop again? I have no idea what this could be. Also I have these speakers along with my two front door speakers wired to a 4 channel amp. Any help is appreciated.

Old 09-29-2007, 03:48 AM
Default RE: rear speaker not working...

You should only have two wires going to each speaker, power and ground, the bass and treble is seperated within the speakers crossover network, it sounds like you need to resolder the network or just change the speakers, if there is no sound at all then the amp channel could be going bad but if you only loose a portion of the sound then the speaker is going bad.

Old 09-29-2007, 10:32 AM

Thanks 2point. I forgot to mention that the speaker actually has 4 wires attached to it and sometimes when I play around with one of the 4 wires the sound comes back on? But its very inconsistent, just when I thought I found the wire that would fix it, the speaker did not work again?

Old 09-29-2007, 10:40 AM

Why do you have 4 wires going to one speaker?

anyway if it's just one speaker on one side that has the issue then swap the wiring for your right/left rear speaker and see if the problem continues. If you still have issues on the left side then it's a speaker problem, if the issues swap to the right side then it's a wire or amp problem..... but who installed the system? Unless you are trying to run a parallel setup of some type then you shouldn't ever have 4 wires to one speaker.