General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear window won't go up all the way...

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 02:42 AM
Almost A Senior Member
Default Rear window won't go up all the way...

On the 1993 Accord the passenger side rear door window can't go up the last inch. It stays open all day, every day.

I took apart the door to find out why this was and narrowed it down to a broken plastic part. It's the plastic part on the regulator that routes the steel cables which pull the window up and down. The cable is pulled really tight, taut is an understatement. I've tried stretching it out when the power window is down all the way but it doesn't stretch. I was trying this because I think I can glue the broken piece back into place. Since the plastic is broken the wire is a different position and the wire appears to be blocking the mechanism from going up the last inch or it doesn't have enough strength to go the last inch.

Is there some way I can manually move this window back up and just be done with it? Or maybe some way I can loosen the tension on the cable?

I'll be happy if I can just seal the window and never be able to use it.

Another option is to tape it over but duct tape and packaging tape fail horribly. They either leave too much residue or dry out after a day and fall off. Is there some kind of caulking I can put on the outside of the car that isn't permanent and won't do any damage but with enough tack to keep some kind of plastic sheeting on?

http://www.carpartsdiscount.com/auto...tml?3593=89245

On that link the picture shows the plastic piece. It's the white piece to the right of the picture, you can see the two cables that run through it.

Last edited by MessAround; 08-08-2011 at 04:04 AM.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:55 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Nevermind, decided to just replace the dang regulator entirely since it's only $30.00 from the eBay junkyard.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

That is probably the easiest solution with less question marks on how to proceed.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:54 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Yeah, I can just unbolt the old one and drop the new/used regulator in and have it all working in minutes. And I'll even have a working window to jump out of.

I'm actually really glad. I thought I was looking at >$100.00. But if I can have this window sealed and usable for $30.00 with shipping and never have to deal with spiders laying eggs in the car, I'm sold. Plus the whole temperature control bit, I wonder how freezing the car would get in winter with that window cracked open like that.

The previous owner never fixed this issue and never fixed a slew of other issues that were with the car. I've had to fix everything from the main relay to the speakers so it's been quite a fun experience if it weren't for the troubleshooting.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

I have been in that boat. It always seemed like problems popped up on my 95 accord in groups. Just prioritize the issues and tackle the problems one at a time.