General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reflex wiper problem or wiper arm problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 01:59 PM
mahones
Unregistered
Default Reflex wiper problem or wiper arm problem?

Hi Everyone

I purchased my 2003 Accord LX in January used from the Honda dealer. The car came with those frameless reflex wipers. The driver's side wiper has always acted weird, it works fine on the upstroke, but when it is on its way back down, the centre raises up from the windshield and leaves a big area un-wiped. I recently tried replacing the wiper blade with a new one and it is now even WORSE. I was wondering if anyone has had problems with these blades before or if this might be a problem with my wiper arm itself. I tried to buy a regular wiper for the car but apparently the only type made that is long enough for the Accord (26") are the frameless kind.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks everyone

Mahones

Old 10-11-2008, 08:23 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Reflex wiper problem or wiper arm problem?

I have no idea on the different types of wiper arms out there. When you replaced the blade did you have to unsnap the old blade and snap a new one in or were they just rubber pieces that you slid into the blade? I'm shooting in the dark on this one...

Also there are 2 springs in most wiper systems I've seen. Spring 1 is a coil spring on the wiper arm (at the joint) that holds the wiper to the glass (this is the springs you stretch when you raise the wipers to clean the window) and Spring 2 is a torsion spring in the wiper blade that puts even pressure on the rubber so you don't get blank spots. Sounds to me like it's Spring 2 here and if replacement wipers don't come with the metal frame and everything you may need to stop at Honda and get some.

Old 10-11-2008, 08:56 PM
mahones
Unregistered

These are the reflex wiper blades, so they don't have a frame or a spring in the blade, they are basically just a piece of rubber shaped like a bow that has a plastic mount in the centre that attaches to the metal wiper arm. I tried to get a standard type of wiper blade but none come big enough. Does anyone know what type of wipers the 2003 accord came with from the factory?

Old 10-13-2008, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

We bought our 2003 Accord LX new and it came with normal wipers, multi-hinged framesjust like older Hondas.

On the arm, theres a fixture that sortaguides the frame of the blade, apparently to prevent it from wiggling sideways. Maybe the reflex blade is too wide for this, causing it to bind?