Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

92 accord and control arm problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 02:51 PM
dropped_9
Unregistered
Default 92 accord and control arm problem

Hi

I have a 92 honda accord LX that is having some control arm issues. The passenger side upper control arm to be exact. That big u thingy above the front wheels. The inner mount (furthest away from front of car) which connects the arm to the frame has a tendency to become loose at the arm and mount connection. I have tried to replace the mount but the problem persists. Any Ideas???

Old 02-29-2008, 01:02 AM
Default RE: 92 accord and control arm problem

You may just not be getting the nut / bolt tight enough, it's a bit hard to access with spanners (that's 'wrenches' for yanks). I tighten mine off the car, i.e. detach the upper ball joint then take the whole wishbone and the individual mounts off the car by undoing the the two mount attachment nuts inside the engine bay on the tower. Now pull the wishbone downward, the wishbone and the two mounts will come out as a single unit.

Now tighten both bolts / nuts. You need to make sure that both the mounts point 'up' in the same orientation, and to do this you can eyeball the loose mount to the tight mount, but it's not super critical, just so long as they're bothreasonably close to pointing in the same direction. If the orientation is off by a long way then the rubber bush gets pre-loaded at static ride height, and this may lead to pre-mature bush failure.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:23 AM
dropped_9
Unregistered
Default RE: 92 accord and control arm problem

Ahh... That is very helpful. If I had spanners with me I could do this but as such I am on limited tools (two crescent wrenches and a ratchet set). My spanners are in another province at this time. However I did attempt to remove the arm completely to no avail because of again lack of tools and this time rust beyond rust. But all is not lost. I have removed the bushing and coated the contact points with grease in an attempt to remove some of the friction that is eating away the bushing (and it is only the one bushing). My next step is to borrow some spanners and really crank the bolt on there.

Thanks for the help, it has in fact really helped