Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

i need some info / opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 07:26 AM
Default i need some info / opinions

ive put 16x7 rims on my car, and want to lower it. ive looked at several options 1.coilovers 2.lowering springs 3. cut the springs

i dont want to spend much considering that i have a guy that i work next to that will do any of the following for $200.

what will give me a stiffer ride and give me the best results.

also are the coilovers on ebay good quality?

Old 02-27-2008, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: i need some info / opinions

1. Coil overs are the best option, esp for stiffness, alot of coil overs have adjustable dampening, so on track days you can stiffen them up and for going to the store you wont have such a rough ride.

2. lowering springs definatly help, and give it a nice look, but wont make it handle anywhere near as nice as coil overs.

3. cutting your springs is a terrible idea, its hard to get them even, it gives a really rough ride, and is just not safe.

i wouldnt buy coil overs on ebay, esp not the "jdm yellow" ones or anything with jdm in the name.

modding your car is not cheap, and like anything else you get what you pay for. a good set of coil overs is going to cost money. The cheapest Tein coil overs are like $700, and the more expensive ones are $1500+

Old 03-03-2008, 06:47 AM

ok, well i wasnt talking about the full coilover shock and spring, only the adjustable spring. and i went to the junk yard and pulled two new ones off the rear of a 240sx, and looked them over and there appears to be nothing wrong with them.

i plan on putting them in the front for now, untill i can find two more. about how low can i set them before i have issues with rubbing

Old 03-03-2008, 07:09 AM

anotherthing, how difficult will it be to remove the shock, swap springs and re install ( est time ) and what tools will i need.

also, im trying to get my buddy into the car scene. is this something that he could assist me with having never worked on a car before.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:44 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Learn a bit about suspension, look for parts that are for your car, then decide or ask an educated question.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

many people have gotten hurt trying to take springs off without the proper tools, it is very dangerous as there is alot of force behind the springs, leave it to the pros

Old 03-03-2008, 04:41 PM

Rent a spring compressor (for free) and use it wisely or take you shocks to a shop and have them use their wall-mount compressor for you. What year/model/trim car are these going on? The older the car, the more time you should allow because of the rust factor. If I were you with little/no experience, like I once was, I would set aside a full Friday night thru Sunday night to make sure the thing is driveable come Monday, and if you run into trouble, be prepared to take the Monday off so you can go to a shop for help/parts. Compressing the spring is the hardest part really, so be careful and go slow. Also, make sure you reassemble your shocks with everything in the right order/position.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:42 AM

ok. my issue is that if i pull the shock out where can i get a spring compressor that i can borrow. and if i have to go some where, my accord is the only car that i can take cause my chevelle has a blown tranny, so then i mite as well hace them do it.

how much force will this spring come off with ????

can i cut the spring before taking it off to reduce the tension or will it be worth it

Old 03-04-2008, 11:54 AM

Rent the compressor from AutoZone or Checker/Kragen. You will have to pay for it and then you will credited when it is returned.

What do you mean by force? A spring compressor is by no means a light duty tool. You have 4 clamps and 2 very long screws that you turn (evenly) with a ratchet or drill.

If you cut the spring while it isunder tension it will most likely fly somewhere and injure you. If a spring compressor wasn't needed to replace a spring then they wouldn't exist. Do it the right way or don't do it at all.