General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Would a bad upper control arm and lower ball joint cause alignment problems?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 11:33 AM
Default Would a bad upper control arm and lower ball joint cause alignment problems?

If you don’t have time to read the full story, here is a summary:
1. My left front tire exploded due to road hazards on the highway, and I drove back with my back-up tire for 60 KM (~37 miles before the tire replacement). New tire was rotated to the left back side.
2. Car was pulling to the right side since then.
3. An alignment was done at a specialized alignment shop the next day, problem persisted.
4. A 40-point inspection was done at the Honda dealer two days later, no suspension problem was detected.
5. Another alignment was done at the same alignment shop, problem persisted. The shop insisted it was my old tires that were causing the problem.
6. A new set of tires were put on. Same problem continued.
7. The alignment shop then claimed it was my bad lower right ball joint and upper left control arm that was causing the problem. He showed me how my ball joint was torn and the upper control arm was loose (but I am not very familiar with the mechanics). The cost of replacing would be $400-500. On the other hand, the Honda dealer just confirmed with me that my suspension was OK during their inspection two weeks ago AFTER I had the alignment problem.
8. Who should I believe? Do you think the two parts were the real cause of the problem? If not what could it be?

Full story:
I have a Honda Accord 2003 EX V6. About 2-3 weeks ago my left front tire exploded due to road hazards on the highway. I drove with my back-up tire (in smaller size) back to my town for about 60 KM (~37 miles) and got a new tire replaced. The new tire was rotated to the rear axle so it would not affect the front axle. However, after the tire replacement, I noticed that the car is going to the right when the steering wheel is pointing straight. Therefore I went to do an alignment at a garage that is specialized in alignment.

A few days after the alignment, I noticed the car is pointing to the right again. I thought it was my old tires that were having the problem, so I went to a local Canadian Tire store to get new tires. The mechanic there said my tires were still working, and it was not my tire that was causing the problem. Thus I went back to the same alignment garage, and they did another alignment, the same problem persisted. The alignment shop insisted that the problem were my tires. Since the tires were almost done anyway, I got a new set of tires. But the problem was still there. He then claimed that my right lower ball joint and left upper control arm was bad. If I replace these parts, the problem would be solved.

I was getting suspicious this time, and a little upset because he was supposed to check my suspension before the alignment. Then I remembered that I did a 40-point inspection at a local Honda dealer two weeks ago AFTER I had the alignment problem. I called the dealer and the agent confirmed that they did not see any suspension problem during the inspection, and she didn't think a bad ball joint would cause alignment problems. Maybe the alignment shop was trying to foul me around so that he could make more money. Do you know if a bad lower right ball joint and upper control arm would cause alignment problems? If it was not the suspension that was causing the problem, what could it be?

Old 05-27-2013, 11:41 AM

BTW, there is no pull on the steering wheel while driving. It is just that the car is pulling to the right when the steering wheel is pointing straight.

Old 05-27-2013, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

Do you have a print out of the alignment spec's - before and after?

If the one shop showed you the ball joint was bad......One thing you can do with the car on the ground is grab the top (12 o'clock) of the tire and give it a hard pull outward. Feel and look for any movement in the tire. Compare that from side to side.