General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Relay in dash buzzes sometimes. Might not start starter.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:26 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Relay in dash buzzes sometimes. Might not start starter.

2007 Accord. V6 automatic
Turn key to ignition position and a fast relay buzzing sound starts in side dash instruments area.. Turn key to starter position & no starter sounds.

Turn the key to OFF. Then it does a normal full start. Bad relay ?

Thanks

Last edited by cyclops2; 08-28-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator

Possible; but, could be due to the car battery. When was that last replaced? Regardless, many places will test the battery for free.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:20 PM
Newest Of Newbies

1 year old battery. Starter makes no sounds when the relay buzzes. Will put the passenger compartment fan on nexttime & see if it slows down.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:41 PM

Sounds like your starter is suspect, autozone will test it for you if you take it off...

Here's some more about diagnosis

Old 02-27-2015, 08:30 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Still doing it for the last 4 years. Same dash buzzing. I removed the heavy starter cable. Same 1st buzzing. Then instant start on second try with the key.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

Although the sound is most likely from the starter cut relay, the issue may be due to the ignition switch or the starter cut relay.

Several of the relays in the under-dash fuse/relay box are the same type. You can try swapping the starter cut relay with one of them and see if it resolves the issue. The location of the dark colored relays (accessory power socket relay, A/F sensor relay, and power window relay) in the attached photo should be the same type as the starter cut relay.

Attached Thumbnails Relay in dash buzzes sometimes. Might not start starter.-starter-cut-relay.jpg  
Old 03-05-2015, 10:01 PM
Default same symptom + more

2004 L4 accord LX. Exactly same buzzing and no start. First time, buzzing, no start. Turn the key again, sometimes buzzes again + no start, sometimes starts. Sometimes more frequent, sometimes less. Same, it does it for about 2 years. Not sure if they are related or not, but still.
Today tried to start the car after 2 weeks. Lights completely off, no turn. Turn key, not even a fade of light in the cluster. Tried to jump start from my other car, and it did not bring a single light. Measured the voltage on battery and it was something like 3.5 V (yes, three point five). I thought the battery is short, and is draining the power from the other battery doing the jump start. Disconnected the + connector on honda battery and connected the jumpstart + cable directly to the honda + harness (so honda battery out of circuit). This was the funny part. The instrument cluster lights came on, but it would not start.... the starter turns, but very weird and car does not start. As said, feels like turning slow as if there is not enough power, and instrument cluster lights go on and off with a knocking sound in the dash...
Battery is one year old and starter was changed last year. I recharged the battery and even if it is damaged holds (some) charge and does not short. Took the battery off and charged it for about 30 with the jumper cables.

Initially I was suspecting the starter cut relay, but now I start to consider the ignition switch too. I am just thinking, what could have drained the battery? A faulty switch may drain the battery? Following electrical circuit, may be theoretically possible.
Any thoughts?

Old 03-05-2015, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JohnelP
2004 L4 accord LX. Exactly same buzzing and no start. First time, buzzing, no start. Turn the key again, sometimes buzzes again + no start, sometimes starts. Sometimes more frequent, sometimes less. Same, it does it for about 2 years. Not sure if they are related or not, but still.
Today tried to start the car after 2 weeks. Lights completely off, no turn. Turn key, not even a fade of light in the cluster. Tried to jump start from my other car, and it did not bring a single light. Measured the voltage on battery and it was something like 3.5 V (yes, three point five). I thought the battery is short, and is draining the power from the other battery doing the jump start. Disconnected the + connector on honda battery and connected the jumpstart + cable directly to the honda + harness (so honda battery out of circuit). This was the funny part. The instrument cluster lights came on, but it would not start.... the starter turns, but very weird and car does not start. As said, feels like turning slow as if there is not enough power, and instrument cluster lights go on and off with a knocking sound in the dash...
Battery is one year old and starter was changed last year. I recharged the battery and even if it is damaged holds (some) charge and does not short. Took the battery off and charged it for about 30 with the jumper cables.

Initially I was suspecting the starter cut relay, but now I start to consider the ignition switch too. I am just thinking, what could have drained the battery? A faulty switch may drain the battery? Following electrical circuit, may be theoretically possible.
Any thoughts?
You probably have more than one issue. Sounds like an excessive parasitic draw issue, which is highly unlikely to be related to the relay buzz issue you had for about 2 years. -- You may want to start a separate new thread for the excessive parasitic draw issue.

Old 08-18-2015, 10:07 AM
Default Relay buzz

2009 V6 Accord having the same buzz problem at start up. Engine has not failed to start but the problem with the buzz seems more often. Thought a new battery would solve problem but did not affect it. On occasions there is no buzz then some times lots of relay buzz. Noise is not from starter. Any suggestions?
Lewis

Old 08-18-2015, 02:52 PM

It may be the contacts in the ignition switch.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Relay in dash buzzes sometimes. Might not start starter.