General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

relay jacked... WHY??? gotta look!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 09:10 PM
Default relay jacked... WHY??? gotta look!

SO... for some reason, someone before I owned the car has grounded the Main relay, by splitting the relay ground, and tapping in a new, seperate wire straight to main relay bolt that hold relay in.

WHY would someone ground the main relay? I have disconected the seperate ground, and to no suprise it wont start at all. Any ideas why someone would have done this?

BTW, the relay looks new, I pulled it apart, and all soders look good. So im not gonna f with it.

On a seperate note, a red wire in the main wire harness looks fried... it looks like it has burnt off its red shielding, and I can see copper wire at least 6 inches worth.. well thats all they have cut into the wire harness... it could extend further into the harness. This is under the dash, above brake pedal, near main relay... and ideas, anyone have this happen to them?

Getting good now ehh..?

Old 01-18-2011, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator

They probably had damage to the main wire harness (e.g, the ground wire got messed up), so they jury rigged the ground directly to the ground terminal on the main relay. The main relay is probably okay, it's just probably the harness wiring is jacked.

Since you see a wire that looks burnt with no insulation is further indication of damage to the main wire harness.

techauto.awardspace.com/mainrelay.html

Attached Thumbnails relay jacked... WHY??? gotta look!-main-relay.jpg  
Old 01-18-2011, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

The one thing that I always forget to ask is if there is a security system installed on this car?

You should trace wires that are not factory bundled to find out why someone did this to the wiring. There may be a security system installed. Maybe they did this for a stereo system?

I don't think that honda had a security system as an OEM accessory in the 90 accord, but I am not sure. A failing security system can cause all kinds of strange starting problems.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:05 PM

so could this cause the car to stall after getting warm??? And not start back up randomly?

If i properlly attach it to the ground off the relay do yall think it will work? Properlly is not really the word.. if I cut, and butt connect it tight and neat, they had it just tied barely to it. My roomate says it could cause draw, or resistance of some type and could be doing somehting to make it stall out...

It will not start now that i have disconected it, of course, no ground... so the original wire is there, he just spliced into it, but it isint grounded anymore??? I dunno..

No security system on the 500$ junker... lol, its 1 wire, attached to the relay and grounded... pic shows very well, thats all.

As I said, the main harness has a wire burt to hell runnin through it... They did it I guess to get it to start... im tryin to keep it running now. As for the burnt wire... how the crap can i figure out what it is??

Old 01-19-2011, 12:03 AM
Super Moderator

I see two white wires in that picture. One going from the relay wiring harness off to the left. There is another one bolted in and goes out of frame in the lower left. Where are these wires going to?

Old 01-19-2011, 06:29 AM

It's the same wire... they wrapped it around the steering Colum instead of cutting it to a better length.

I'm going to try and figure out where the ground for the main relay goes, and repair it as I believe this may be the main reason she will get hot, draw a load and shut off the car...

Anybody know off hand where the main relay grounds too, or have access to a diagram, that would help a lot!

So get this... when people install after market head units, and they are big retards, they don't get a install kit, they cut and splice wires manually.. so someone did this to my lil Honda it seems.

What this does, it will draw too much current, being most likely a 50w x 4 speakers head unit... so this will cause the accessory wire to heat up bad, and burn off coating all the way thru wire harness.

Happens a lot.. as I am a stereo guy, it hit me what has happened. The burnt wire is touching many, many other wires, and on this accord shares a fuse with the back up port. I think this may be one cause of my issues as it has been showing no codes since I replaced the coil.
At that time I did also re-install a factory stereo with factory wiring.
I'll have to disconnect all that, and re run separate access, and batt wires, no problem!

I can fix radio and those wires with no issues.. its the unseen damage to other wires, for instance the ground for the main relay I can't see.

If I must, ill disconnect factory ground for relay, and give a nice good new one, like they have attempted to.

Thoughts, ideas... let me hear em please.

And remember... when you install a stereo, don't be a cheap ****... go to best buy and buy the quick connect for your vehicle.. don't cut the plug ....

Old 01-19-2011, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Dannyboi40
Anybody know off hand where the main relay grounds to...
I think it suppose to run to Ground G401, left kick panel area.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
I think it suppose to run to Ground G401, left kick panel area.
Thanks! Anywhere I can get a diagram??

Cant be too many grounds in left kick panel area...

If it is still factory grounded it should be fine, which Ill check once I find it... and if it is, why then the need to add another ground, is the weird part... something must be wrong with it.. Ill know shortly

Old 01-19-2011, 02:44 PM

fixed ground issue... and steroe is disconected with no fuse in, no power thru busted wire...

CEL is blinking again, and it gave me a code 15 again... Ive already done coil, cap and rotor... need a voltmeter now to test voltage, and that would point to...? the ignition switch? or ignition control module, the other thing in distributor?

Old 01-19-2011, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Dannyboi40
Thanks! Anywhere I can get a diagram??

Cant be too many grounds in left kick panel area...

If it is still factory grounded it should be fine, which Ill check once I find it... and if it is, why then the need to add another ground, is the weird part... something must be wrong with it.. Ill know shortly
I just checked the factory service manual, the main relay actually gets grounded to ground location G101, in the engine compartment on the thermostat housing.

Just for informational purposes, I'll include the image of grounds G401 and G402 anyway.

Attached Thumbnails relay jacked... WHY??? gotta look!-ground-distribution.jpg   relay jacked... WHY??? gotta look!-ground-g101-location.jpg   relay jacked... WHY??? gotta look!-grounds-g401-402.jpg  

Last edited by redbull-1; 01-19-2011 at 04:49 PM. Reason: typo.

Quick Reply: relay jacked... WHY??? gotta look!