General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Remote start w/ factory keyless entry

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 12:40 PM
Default Remote start w/ factory keyless entry

i searched and searched to no avail. how should i go about buying/installing a remote start on my 04 sedan which already has factory keyless entry?

ive loked at bulldog, viper, cobra, and others. im not particular on any of them. i just want the remote start function, and not one with an alarm or key;ess entry function.

Old 11-03-2007, 03:33 PM
Default RE: Remote start w/ factory keyless entry

so the guy at my local audio shop has a remote and keyless entry system, he said this is my only option and that i HAVE to override my factory keyless entry and use the one supplied w/ whichever system i get.

why would i have to override my factory k.e.? maybe problems with the alarm going off when i start the car remotely? i dont get it.

and why hasnt anyone replied?[&o]lol.

Old 11-04-2007, 10:53 AM

I have no idea how that would work.... Personally, I wouldn't worry about spending the money on it. Or maybe you could call the Cobra, Viper, etc. companies and ask them how you could get it to work on your car.

Old 11-04-2007, 10:13 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

most good alarm systems (viper, cobra) have factory alarm arm/disarm wires coming out of them. You would have to find a way to wire them up wires that can control the factory alarm system arming and disarming, the only use the aftermarket alarm system. That, or you could find out what wires go to the factory alarm brain, unplug it, wire up the new alarm w/ remote start, and sell the old one on ebay. Bear in mind, though, this may not work, depending on the wiring of your car.

also bear in mind that basically what a remote start does is hotwire the car at the press of a button, and if the car is already pre-hotwired, its just that much easier for a criminal to hotwire it. So easy, infact, that all he needs is a paperclip to jump a couple leads on a couple of relays.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:27 AM

thanks for the replies. what i will be doing is calling a few companies when i get time and see what they recomend.
as for the theft possibility... i live in a very low crime area, not to say it couldnt happen though.