General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing pull handle on door

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 11:00 PM
DaveK
Unregistered
Default Removing pull handle on door

I have a 2000 Accord EX and the structure inside the pull handle(arm rest) is cracked and I would like to fix it. It seems easy enough to fix, but I need to get the handle off. Is it really necessary to take the whole door panel off to remove the pull -handle?

Old 08-13-2009, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Yes door panel must be removed. There is a single screw through the handle opening that provides primary load path to the door frame when you pull the door closed. This screw may be missing or stripped. A replacement screw anchor may be necessary. Hopefully, remainder of arm rest is OK.

Down load a 98-02 manual for guidance, if one is available in the Online Manuals link in DIY section, or buy a Haynes or other aftermarket manual. This is helpful to remove the door panel w/o damaging panel.

Door panel removal basics are 1) remove door arm rest screw, 2) remove door inside release handle trim by removing screw, disconnecting electrical plug, and sliding trim piece forward/outward. Don't try to pull out horizontally or you'll break lug retaining trim to door panel. 3) remove any other screws or fasteners, 4) pull door panel by prying near a pop-in fastener and keep sequentially popping them loose (about 8), 5) lift door panel vertically off inside of window, 6) release electrical connectors behind door panel.

good luck