General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Removing Rotors 94-97 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default Removing Rotors 94-97 Accord

After reviewing the DIY instructions, I prefer the scheme in the attached link, which seems less likely to damage the bearing.

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread/1281812

This approachapparently uses the axle shaft end to push the hub from the knuckle housing. The writeup is a bit unclear on this point. I was unsure whether the axle shaft provides enough resistance for this and wanted to confirm that is indeed the way the tool works. A very similar tool (http://www.autozone.com/in_our_store...e_axle_fwd.htm) available from Autozone as a loan tool. The advantage of this approach is avoiding any ball joint separations and removal of the axle. Trade-off is likely more time spent removing the hub-knuckle retaining bolts on back side of knuckle w/ offset closed end wrench.

Thanks

Old 10-29-2007, 12:13 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Removing Rotors 94-97 Accord

ORIGINAL: TexasHonda

After reviewing the DIY instructions, I prefer the scheme in the attached link, which seems less likely to damage the bearing.
the way i wrote up to remove the rotors ,, there will not be any damage to the bearing at all, you remove the bearing and hub as a complete assembly, no need to press anythign in or out

Old 10-30-2007, 11:38 AM

ORIGINAL: deserthonda
the way i wrote up to remove the rotors ,, there will not be any damage to the bearing at all, you remove the bearing and hub as a complete assembly, no need to press anythign in or out
Desert I had everything out as you have described in DYI. But without that MATCO tool I can not get the hub assembly out of the hub. I tried to look for this tool everywhere but could not found it. since I was not successful I had to put everything back. Is it possible to see the picture of MATCO tool, so it might be easy to know how that tool work. Thanks

Old 10-30-2007, 11:59 AM

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/ltilt825.html

that's the tool.........But if you have to replace rotors anyways , you can just get a hammer and hammer on the rotors , spin the rotor and hammer on opposite side as well.. the tool makes you hammer on the middle for an easier removal,, it works great..

Old 10-30-2007, 08:40 PM

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/ltilt825.html

that's the tool.........But if you have to replace rotors anyways , you can just get a hammer and hammer on the rotors , spin the rotor and hammer on opposite side as well.. the tool makes you hammer on the middle for an easier removal,, it works great..
Thanks for info. I was wondering what the purpose of that wingnut and that rubber bushing ? I can see that big portion of the tool stays behind the hub and I can use hammer on that round area to knock the hub assembly out of knuckle.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:27 AM

it is correct accorfand222.........I have used this tool dozen and dozens of times and it works great,, it lest you hammer right in the center , you get more even hammering that way . This also will eliminate the usage of a bearing puller to separate the bearing from the hub and possible damage to bearing ,,( hub and bearing will come out together ..

Old 10-31-2007, 09:56 AM

it is correct accorfand222.........I have used this tool dozen and dozens of times and it works great,, it lest you hammer right in the center , you get more even hammering that way . This also will eliminate the usage of a bearing puller to separate the bearing from the hub and possible damage to bearing ,,( hub and bearing will come out together ..
my rotors werent pressed in at all. i changed both front and rear and both just slide off. i guess everyone elses isnt like that. wasnt there some kit that does what mine do?