General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

removing water from my muffler

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 03:01 AM
Default removing water from my muffler

my GF's sister drove her accord into a deep puddle and it shut off.
i checked out the air filter and it was soaking wet so i removed the spark plugs and cranked the engine...no water squirted out so she has no water in her engine.
i noticed when i had her crank the engine water came out of her muffler.
so heres my questions
1. could she have gotten enough water in her exhaust to cause her car to shut off (the way a clogged catalytic would)?
2. what would be the easiest way to remove the water? (would i just raise the front and the water would come out?)
3. is there any other factors i should be looking at?

thanks for any help in advanced!

Old 12-21-2010, 08:17 AM
Supper Moderator

I doubt the cat is clogged.
You said the air filter was soaked...you can turn over the engine or is it hard to turn it over? It might have been hydolocked. I have experience in this. My girl hydro locked my h22 when it was in my cb7 bent a rod and tore up my cyl walls.
I would check to see if he water made its way in o your intake manifold. Maybe take it apart and clean real good. B/c if it made its way to your intake manifold than water got into your engine.
As for the exhaust thing try and jack the front of the car up see if gravity will do the work for you. After you get the car running the exhaust pressure should take care of the remaining water in the exhaust.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Cranking with sparkplugs removed (no water spraying out) means it wasn't hydrolocked.

A water-soaked airfilter won't let hardly any air through, so that might be what stalled it. Does it start now (with a new airfilter)?

I guess I'd start & run it to get water out of exhaust. (Of course that's because you've already cranked it with the sparkplugs out.)

What kind of Accord?? Some years it's kinda easy to open the plenum of the intake manifold.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:23 PM

Id check to make sure no water was in the engine before you start it, if the engine is dry along with the intake then you should be fine just start it up and the pressure and heat should clear the exhaust.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:38 PM

well i tried to look down the spark plug hole and it did look "moist". could that just be fuel from her trying to start it for so long? the engine cranks over fairly quick and when i took out all the plugs no water squirted out..just some mist that smelled A LOT like fuel.
i don't think it hydro locked becuase otherwise it wouldn't crank so easily would it???
Also wen i crank it over i can hear it try to push out the water in the exhaust.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:40 PM

one more thing, it has been sitting there for a day and a half now so i imagine it should be sort of dry by now (meaning the starter and wireset etc.) but it still won't start...so should i worry about any of those things??

Old 12-21-2010, 12:41 PM

its a 97 accord with the 2.2 ltr.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:35 AM
Default update on accord problem

ok so far this is what i've done
1. removed spark plugs and cranked engine (no water squirted out but wen i looked down the cylinder did look moist and when i insert the plugs, crank it and remove them again they are wet, like water wet not gas wet.)
2. replaced the wet air filter with new one.
and nothing yet...idk wat else i can do
i think i should just take it to the mechanic.: confused:

Old 12-22-2010, 06:06 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Did she drive through a deep puddle or a little pond??? Sounds like a lot of issues from a puddle, that was one hell of a puddle.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

Even if it WAS hydrolocked, cranking with sparkplugs removed will blow the water out of the sparkplug holes.

Remove the rubber intake duct from the aircleaner to the throttle body. Look for water in there. Don't know if you'll have to remove the plenum part of the intake manifold & remove any water from there??

Try new spark plugs even if yours look OK.