General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

REplace Accord 1996 lower ball joint rubber boot ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 10:28 AM
Default REplace Accord 1996 lower ball joint rubber boot ???

Hi,

Lesson learned, never buy cheap part from NAPA !!
I just torn the rubber boot of my 1 month old lower ball joint of my Accord 1996 !!

Quick questions :

1. Should I just change the ball joint to an genuine OEM one (just found that they are selling it only 16$) or just the rubber boot ?
  2. Can I easily change the boot myself without removing the ball joint ?
  3. Do you guys have a link for the instructions for a DIY job to change the rubber boot ??

Thanks

Old 01-23-2013, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

How did you tear it? I bet it's just as easy to tear the rubber boot of a OEM balljoint from the dealer.

If it's only $16 for a new one, I'd be pretty tempted to get that.

To replace only the boot...
- Separate the balljoint from the knuckle, so the boot can be removed over the tapered stud.
- Clean the threaded end real good.
- Take a small screwdriver or something like that & remove the coiled spring-clip holding the big end of the boot. Then the boot can be removed.
- Clean it up & add grease if needed. Make sure it operates smoothly but not loosely. (If it's action is rough, you'll wish you just bought the whole balljoint.)
- Install the rubber boot, being careful not to carry dirt from the threaded end of the stud down into the ball/socket of the joint.
- Install the coiled spring clip to hold the boot on.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
How did you tear it? I bet it's just as easy to tear the rubber boot of a OEM balljoint from the dealer.

If it's only $16 for a new one, I'd be pretty tempted to get that.

To replace only the boot...
- Separate the balljoint from the knuckle, so the boot can be removed over the tapered stud.
- Clean the threaded end real good.
- Take a small screwdriver or something like that & remove the coiled spring-clip holding the big end of the boot. Then the boot can be removed.
- Clean it up & add grease if needed. Make sure it operates smoothly but not loosely. (If it's action is rough, you'll wish you just bought the whole balljoint.)
- Install the rubber boot, being careful not to carry dirt from the threaded end of the stud down into the ball/socket of the joint.
- Install the coiled spring clip to hold the boot on.
My guess I hit a small pothole but the shock was big enough to tear it ! But I cannot remember any pothole I hit !

The OEM ball joint are only 16$ but I am reluctant to pay again the labor to change the ball joint when they are brand new (only 1 month old).

Things is if I fail to change myself the rubber, i may have to change the ball joint itself !

So for a newbie in mechanics who had access to tools , is it easy to change the rubber boot ??

Thanks for the instruction. I guess NAPA had the rubber boot. gonna call them to see

Last edited by curvenut; 01-24-2013 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

Getting that spring-clip off & back on can be a bit frustrating. Find the end & get something small like a jeweler's screwdriver to work it off. Once that's off the rubber boot just comes off.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I've had good luck w/ removing/installing the spring ring w/ pick set (< $5 at Harbor Freight but available widely). Use the straight end and 90 degree bent end picks to hold one side and pull other side of loop into position. It can be a bit tricky even w/ tools. Honda has a special tool for this purpose.

Let us know how it works out.

good luck