General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

replacing fuel lines in 96 sedan 2.2L

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 01:34 PM
Default replacing fuel lines in 96 sedan 2.2L

Im thinking of replacing the fuel lines on my 96 accord 4DR 2.2L. The metal lines pretty much all need replacing the long ones that run under the car and also the ones that run to the fuel pump. It looks like the 3 long ones from the front of the car to the back junction could be replaced without dropping the tank. The other segments is where my questions start.

I took a look at this thread https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...-access-41535/

If I was to cut a access like this thread above would I be able to fish the other pipes up to the fuel pump?

Also is one of the pipes connected to the tank itself? Maybe the vent pipe. Ive looked at the diagrams majestic honda as well as my factory manual its not clear if all the pipes go to the fuel pump or one goes to the tank.

Anyone have any luck bending their own pipes for this job? They seem kinda pricey for honda lines, although they probably would be much much easier.

I dont want to cut a access hole only to find out I have to drop the tank anyways. That would be a real pisser.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:45 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ummm... are your lines leaking?

Old 04-21-2012, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by crispin
ummm... are your lines leaking?
no but they are quite swelled/rotting and look very very bad.

We have state inspections in Maine, last year they were insistent on replacing the break lines. I'm pretty confident they will say something about the fuel lines this year. They do the inspections at a repair shops so its pretty much a free ticket for them to find something to replace. You are allowed to take the car and do the repairs yourself and bring it back. Im preparing myself. I usually leave items broke in need of repair until I get the car inspected so at least Im repairing something that is in need of replacing. This year Ive left my starter with a nasty squeal hoping they just complain about that.

Last edited by moey; 04-21-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:14 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

swelled - so you are talking about the soft lines?

I have never seen a metal line swell before.

I think I am confused as I think I was thinking of the metal brake lines.

Sorry I cannot be of any help, sounds like a real PITA to have to have older cars inspected like that.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by crispin
swelled - so you are talking about the soft lines?
The metal lines appear to be a larger diameter from the amount of corrosion on them, that is what I meant by swell. Same as a rust bubble on your paint job.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator

Since I live where there isn't as much salt on the roads I've personally never had to do this......but will say there are two lines at the pump. Pressure should be a banjo fitting, the return is actually a rubber hose (FI hose of course) but it is the return so less pressure.

Might pull the fuel hose protector and see if you can see where/how they connect.

Attached Thumbnails replacing fuel lines in 96 sedan 2.2L-5th-gen-fuel-tank.jpg  
Old 04-23-2012, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

There's 5 steel lines under the car, 2 brake & 3 fuel. The 3 fuel lines can be seen through the "phantom" left-rear wheel in Poorman's picture. Rubber hoses are short connectors between the steel tubes.

Fuel supply is pressurized.
Fuel return is not pressurized.
Fuel vent is not pressurized.

I suspect you'll have more trouble feeding the new steel lines around the steering rack & firewall up front, more so than the rubber-hose connections in the rear.

I had em corrode in my 95 Integra, at first the leak was so small & diffuse that the steel lines just looked wet with fuel. I could smell fuel, but it would evaporate as soon as it leaked, and it didn't drip onto the ground.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:23 AM

hmm guess I didnt consider getting the pipes up to the front end. The brake lines have been replaced but they are attached with a double flare union underneath on the front side of the protective screen.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

So you just wanna splice a section in, say the rear couple feet of those lines? Remember that the entire line from the engine bay back, is all the same age and has been exposed to sorta the same corrosion environment. The remaining part of the old lines will corrode before too long.

Your car, your money, your choice.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Your car, your money, your choice.
I like that one Jim . Should add your life, hate to see a car on fire .

Quick Reply: replacing fuel lines in 96 sedan 2.2L