General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Replacing shift solenoids Honda Accord 91

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 07:46 PM
Default Replacing shift solenoids Honda Accord 91

Hi,

I bought a Honda Accord EX (91) for little money (student) two weeks ago and haven't had a good time since then. At some point the car would rarely/not shift in the second gear. In general, it shifts super hard. I had a speed sensor code so I replaced the speed sensor. For most of the time it shifts now, but sometimes the weird behavior comes back and it would rarely shift in the second gear (only at really high rpm). Last time this occured the dashboard signaled a bad brake light

I bought used shift/lock up solenoids and would like to replace the old ones to see if this might fix it. Unfortunately, I'm not very repair-savvy and don't know how to reach the shift solenoids. Can I remove the two pipes on the photo? Not sure if they are full with cooling fluid. I would be very thankful for a hint.

Best
Alex

Attached Thumbnails Replacing shift solenoids Honda Accord 91-photo-2.jpg  
Old 02-01-2014, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

Socket extension can be used to reach the bolts. Flex sockets may or may not be needed, those bolts look accessible without flex sockets.

Those are the automatic transmission fluid cooler lines, ATF runs through them.

Not sure if you seen this link before; but, faulty resistors and/or capacitors in the transmission control unit (TCU) were sometimes known issues. The link has info. regarding the solenoid valves too.

Honda Electronic Transmission Problem- Troubleshoot, Inspection, Repair, Replace.

Old 02-20-2014, 03:46 PM

Thank you so much. Will try to fix it this weekend. The problem now is also that it sometimes when it shifts from the first to second gear it starts slipping and does't get into the second gear. Doesnt happen every time. That transmission drives me crazy!