General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 10:08 AM
Default Replacing Throttle Body

Hey guys,

The throttle body on my 2000 Si is binding and no amount of cleaning is getting it slinky smooth like it should be. I'm looking to buy a replacement TB, but it looks like the OEM part is discontinued.

What's a good aftermarket TB to get? I'd prefer to stick to stock bore since I don't plan to replace the intake manifold (and I read that the performance benefits are marginal at best), but I'd be open to a larger size in favor of price/availability.

Also, is the procedure for replacing the TB as simple as bolting on the replacement and transplanting the sensors over, and then letting the car run for a bit while the ECU re-learns the new system (at least that's what I've read, but kinda seems too easy...)?

Thanks!!

Old 08-08-2015, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

Me, I'd go "bone yard" hunting first. You can use something like "car-part" dot com to help in your search.

Then, using an Accord in the same year range, with a bone yard find it would be a pretty simple change.

Just my opinion

Old 08-08-2015, 12:43 PM

Thanks for the reply!

The only issue is that the TB is specific to my trim (not the same on DX, LX, EX) based on the OEM part number, so that complicates things a bit.

I'm considering aftermarket mostly for price and availability. As long as it performs like stock (not interested in "performance gains"), I'll be satisfied.

Old 08-08-2015, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by cukaracha
Thanks for the reply!

The only issue is that the TB is specific to my trim (not the same on DX, LX, EX) based on the OEM part number, so that complicates things a bit.

I'm considering aftermarket mostly for price and availability. As long as it performs like stock (not interested in "performance gains"), I'll be satisfied.
Contrary to the claims of many aftermarket companies, there really are no performance gains to be had from replacing the throttle body.

Old 08-08-2015, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Car-part.com shows which Accords are donors to your model. Easy and inexpensive. Also check ebay for used TB options.

good luck

Old 08-08-2015, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
Contrary to the claims of many aftermarket companies, there really are no performance gains to be had from replacing the throttle body.
Yup! Hence the quotation marks

But more on the topic, is there a good brand I should go with? I'd like to avoid any fitment issues or quirkiness in idle rpm etc after the replacement.