General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Replacing Tie Rod Dust Seal Boots

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 07:40 AM
Default Replacing Tie Rod Dust Seal Boots

This past weekend I was changing the oil in my 1994 Accord EX and noticed one of the dust seals was cracked and open.

How important is it to have it replaced with a new one? My car is over 17 years old and still running fine except for the rust from the NY salt!

Is this hard to do myself and what is required? I have a parts listing and believe I know what I need... Also what is the easiest part to disconnect in order to slip them on?

Thank you,

Michael

Old 10-20-2011, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

Moved to Gen Tech....please see the notice at the top of the DIY section.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

First, sorry for the delay...had to catch up.

Personally, they are important. They keep the dirt out. Next if you are in NY, winter is coming salt and sand in there is not going to help. Buy yourself some time, if this is the outer tie rod boot, get new ones and replace. If you don't let the tie rod spin when you remove it from the knuckle, you shouldn't need alignment.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:18 AM
Default Tie Rod Boots

Actually I am now living in NC and they only use a brine solution here on the highways maybe 4 times during the winter in the AM.

I know I need to get them replaced and it is the inner one that is cracked (uses a Band and clip to keep it in place). I guess there is also an outer boot?

Will check with a local shop to see what the cost would be to have it done.

Thank you,

Michael

Old 10-21-2011, 09:27 AM

It is really easy to do yourself.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:20 PM

That is NOT the tie rod end. That is the ball joint .. and a much bigger job.

The tie rod end is a 30 minute job, easy.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

To replace the inner tie-rod boot, you will need to release outer tie-rod end from knuckle, and remove the outer tie-rod end (release locknut and turn off). Then you can pull the old boot off an install new boot. Aftermarket boots are available but Honda boots are better quality.

I used nylon tie-wrap pulled tightly on boot inner end instead of metal band on my last boot replacement and this worked well. Metal bands are tricky to install correctly and generally a PIA.

A good time to replace outer tie-rod end boot if it's damaged. They are only a few bucks at Honda parts.

good luck

Last edited by TexasHonda; 10-21-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:57 PM

If it is the bellows, on the inner tie rod/steering rack, there is a stretchable one that is made in Australia, that does not require you to separate the tie rod end from the knuckle and remove the outer rod end.

I am going to be experimenting with making my own device to do this and will report back if the results are positive.

If you are referring to the little dust boot ( cup shaped) on the outer tie rod end, you will need to replace the end, which requires removal as TexasHonda described.

The outer boot is number 16, the inner bellows is number 11

Old 10-21-2011, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator

If it is #11 or #12 in the pic from wunderbra (BTW nice to see you again)...the inner "clamp" can be replaced with a "zip tie". The small end is like a key ring (if you know what I mean). You can "re-roll" the OE back on....did this just a few months ago on my 95.

If it is the outer tie rod "boot"....some would replace the entire tire rod-if it has miles on it I agree. Some would just replace the boot #16 in the pic.

What part of NC?

Old 10-21-2011, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
To replace the inner tie-rod boot, you will need to release outer tie-rod end from knuckle, and remove the outer tie-rod end (release locknut and turn off). Then you can pull the old boot off an install new boot. Aftermarket boots are available but Honda boots are better quality.

I used nylon tie-wrap pulled tightly on boot inner end instead of metal band on my last boot replacement and this worked well. Metal bands are tricky to install correctly and generally a PIA.

A good time to replace outer tie-rod end boot if it's damaged. They are only a few bucks at Honda parts.

good luck
Originally Posted by wunderbra
If it is the bellows, on the inner tie rod/steering rack, there is a stretchable one that is made in Australia, that does not require you to separate the tie rod end from the knuckle and remove the outer rod end.

I am going to be experimenting with making my own device to do this and will report back if the results are positive.

If you are referring to the little dust boot ( cup shaped) on the outer tie rod end, you will need to replace the end, which requires removal as TexasHonda described.

The outer boot is number 16, the inner bellows is number 11

Originally Posted by poorman212
If it is #11 or #12 in the pic from wunderbra (BTW nice to see you again)...the inner "clamp" can be replaced with a "zip tie". The small end is like a key ring (if you know what I mean). You can "re-roll" the OE back on....did this just a few months ago on my 95.

If it is the outer tie rod "boot"....some would replace the entire tire rod-if it has miles on it I agree. Some would just replace the boot #16 in the pic.

What part of NC?
Ahh... some people that really knows what they're talking about.

How refreshing.

Quick Reply: Replacing Tie Rod Dust Seal Boots