General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Resonating Sound From Front Tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 12:05 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Resonating Sound From Front Tires

I just had 2 new tires put on my 06 Accord SE Sedan last week under warranty since 2 of them were dry-rotting after 13 months and 18,000 miles! The tires are Goodyear Assurance Triple Treads (The kind with that very aggressive directional tread pattern). It turns out, the tires were 5 and 6 years old which is likely why they were dry-rotting but anyways, they both were on the passenger side of the car so I had them put the 2 good tires on the rear (requiring one of them to be re-mounted due to the directional tread pattern) and had the 2 new ones put on the front. I now hear, only on certain road surfaces, a low pitched resonating sound coming from the front tires almost like a "ru-ru-ru-ru-ru-ru-ru" sound. This doesn't happen on all roads. For the record, I have no unusual shimmy or vibration when driving and have no steering issues either. If you barely tap the steering wheel, the tires move, so I know things are good and tight. The car has almost 97,000 miles on it (bought it brand-new) and runs "almost" like new! I called Goodyear and they told me it was a normal thing with these tires and they were more or less telling me it had to do with the tread design and that there's nothing wrong with the tires. I figured I'd post this here to see if anyone else ever had a similar experience or if I'm missing something here. Comments appreciated!