General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reverse problem in tranny

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 01:06 AM
2002 6th Gen. CG3
Unregistered
Default Reverse problem in tranny

Hey guys I'm new to the forum site and i have a problem hopefully someone can answer. I have a '02 honda accord 4cyl. Well my problem is everytime when i try to put my car in reverse changing gears from park to reverse the car shakes, then when i look at the dash the reverse highlight does not show. Furthermore my car drives fine in in D4 and the gears dont feel like they are slipping and changing roughly and I almost forgot if I let the car idol for ten minutes or more the reverse problem doesnt show, ohh yea and its a different tranny had to replace it because the old one was no good...please help me running out of idea what it could be smh....

Old 01-16-2009, 02:09 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Reverse problem in tranny

The reverse light not coming on can be caused by a burnt out bulb in the cluster, or the gear position switch is not working when you put it in reverse. You can unplug the connector to the gear position switch and check that it has the proper continuity from pin to pin. That switch is under the center console.

The pin information can be found from the shop manual. In the DIY forum, the Online Manuals thread has links to sites where you can download a shop manual for a 98-02 accord as an .iso file. Burn that to a CD and you will have all of the information that you need to access then test the gear positon switch.

The shaking sounds like a motor mount problem to me. The mount on 94-97 accords was stiffened by engine vacuum to negate engine vibrations. Yours may be different. The gear position switch may be what causes that mount to adjust properly when you go into reverse. The shop manual may have that information as well.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, it still has the vacuum-operated rear engine mount on auto-tranny cars.

Find the vacuum hose from the rear mount, follow it to a solenoid valve.
With the engine warmed up, have someone shift into gear & HOLD THE BRAKE.
Unplug the electrical plug for that solenoid valve.

When you unplug that wire & plug it back in, there should be a BIG difference in engine vibration felt by the driver. Try it in both R & D to see if that makes a difference. The vacuum mount is NOT supposed to operate in N or P.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:49 AM

Check your transmission fluid...

Old 01-16-2009, 11:34 AM
2002 6th Gen. CG3
Unregistered

Thanks for the info I will keep you updated to see if any changes occured.