General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough IDLE and smelly exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 03:59 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Unhappy Rough IDLE and smelly exhaust

I have a 1992 Honda Accord EX. I was driving today for around 2 hours mostly highway miles after I got back on the main streets and had to slow down or stop for lights, my car was rough idling so badly I thought it was going to cut off on me. I put the car in neutral and step on the gas to keep the car from cutting off on me while I was at stop lights. The exhaust has making a "PUT PUT" sound and giving off a really funky smell. The tachometer was bouncing up and down between 1 and nearly zero while the car was stop. Once I finally got home I put the car in reverse and the car really started to rough idle. The car never cut off of me when I was home.

I am not blaming my mechanic, but I didn't have this problem before he replaced a busted radiator hose, changed the oil and check the air filter. What is going on here??????

Old 10-10-2010, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

If he replaced the radiator hose, maybe he didn't bleed the air out of the coolant system.

What I would do is drain the coolant into a clean bucket from the radiator. Open the bleeder valve on the thermostat housing with a 12 mm deep socket. Turn temperature dial to hot inside the car (allows coolant to flow through heater core).

Fill the radiator with coolant. Close bleeder valve when air stops spitting out and a steady stream of coolant comes out. Top off the radiator with coolant. Reset ECU by pulling 7.5 backup/radio fuse. Start the car and allow it to warm to operating temperature to relearn the idle.