General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough Idle/Stumbling acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 02:13 PM
Exclamation Rough Idle/Stumbling acceleration

Hey guys. First off my car is a 1998 Honda Accord EX 2.3L w/automatic transmission. I just purchased this car, and only had a chance to drive it from where I bought it to my house whilst I get it legal on the road (about 15 miles or so). ANYWAY, here is my issue. At idle, it idles real rough around 1100 RPM with the exhaust pressure being rough as well. After it gets going on the road, I had no problem doing 65 on the highway with no problems. But starting from a stop, it's like it doesn't wanna go, but once it gets up to 25-30 MPH it's fine, rides like a champ. NO CELs, but I did the old jumper wire to read the codes and got none. The idle screw is set in all the way as well. I did searches to no avail (IACV cleaning, sensors backwards etc) to no avail. I'm mechanically inclined and this is my 3rd Honda. I am puzzled. Sorry for the long post, wantedto just be thorough in my description. THX in advance.

Old 03-05-2015, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

I'd still take it by a parts store and have them scan for codes, if any get the actual code and not their description of the code.

At idle when eng is at normal temp, what is the rpm in park. While checking around the TB, did you go ahead and give it a good cleaning - both side of the butterfly

Old 03-05-2015, 07:57 PM
cj1
Newest Of Newbies

If you are going to do your own repair get a data scanner so you can see how the engine is actually performing. Once you begin using it you will save time/money by being able to pinpoint the problem areas.

Old 03-07-2015, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by poorman212
I'd still take it by a parts store and have them scan for codes, if any get the actual code and not their description of the code.

At idle when eng is at normal temp, what is the rpm in park. While checking around the TB, did you go ahead and give it a good cleaning - both side of the butterfly
At idle it's around 1100-1000. Doesn't jump around at all. Haven't cleaned anything yet. When I put it in any gear, RPMs drop to 900. And vibrates the whole car like crazy. The exhaust pressure "matches" the vibrations. Again, no CEL or trouble codes.

Last edited by djjinx; 03-07-2015 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:24 AM
Super Moderator

Sorry I missed the idle rpm in your first post

I'd still give the TB a good cleaning - never hurts and should be done every now and then. I'd also check the compression on each cyl, while the plugs are out spin the engine to TDC #1 and check the timing belt/cam gear marks....odd idle, slow getting up to speed - could the timing be off a tooth or two? Idle screw all the way in, someone has been messing with this thing....

For the vibration - it could be a bad mount or two but I'd want to figure the engine part out first.

Old 03-08-2015, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
Sorry I missed the idle rpm in your first post

I'd still give the TB a good cleaning - never hurts and should be done every now and then. I'd also check the compression on each cyl, while the plugs are out spin the engine to TDC #1 and check the timing belt/cam gear marks....odd idle, slow getting up to speed - could the timing be off a tooth or two? Idle screw all the way in, someone has been messing with this thing....

For the vibration - it could be a bad mount or two but I'd want to figure the engine part out first.
Yeah I can tell it's had a going over before. It's been way muddy where the car is parked, so I haven't been able to properly look at everything to clean,etc. HOWEVER, I youtubed clogged catalytic converters, and from what I've seen, my car is doing the EXACT same thing. Specifically there is one of a Pontiac Sunfire where the motor shakes, and the exhaust is sputtering. If you have a chance please watch. As soon as it dries out I'm going to pull it and look at it first, as well as following your advice on the other things as well. The only thing I'm wondering though is if it is clogged, why no check engine light? I'll let you know what I find. Thanx in advance for your help tho!