General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

idle issue and rough acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 12:16 PM
phat2000accord
Unregistered
Default idle issue and rough acceleration

We just bought a 2000 Accord (4 cyl) a month and a half ago and have noticed during idle it seems like the engine might stall. Also during acceleration at higher speeds it doesn't always pick up speed when the gas is pressed. We've had it in to our dealership twice and the first time they replaced the primary O2 sensor and it didn't help either issue. Then they cleaned the fuel regulator and it seemed like both problems were fixed but now they're back again! I found a TSB dated 03/16/2002 (TSB#302) with Summary: Customers may complain of a brief hesitation when accelerating at high engine speeds. I can't find a site that tells me what the potential issues are. HELP! I don't know if it's fuel delivery related or transmission related. We do know about the extended transmission warranty for this year but the dealership didn't mention that as a concern. Seems like we're left to diagnose this ourselves and we're not mechanics!

Old 04-22-2007, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: idle issue and rough acceleration

What is the idle RPM?
IACV screenmight need to be cleaned, and also the ring of crud around the throttle plate.
FWIW;NHTSA puts their own numbers to TSBs as they see fit, or feel like that certain day. Their numbers Never match the manufacturer numbers.
I'll look to see if I can get more info for you.

Old 04-22-2007, 06:39 PM
phat2000accord
Unregistered
Default RE: idle issue and rough acceleration

The idle RPM is right around 1000. We've been doing some research and found some info about the EGR valve (stuck open-car will idle badly; stuck closed-engine may run poorly during moderate acceleration). Seems like a possibiltiy? but ours is stuck open and closed?? We also have a 2002 Odyssey and that valve was replaced under warranty/recall item (I can't remember which) a couple of years ago. We just had the spark plugs replaced and the transmission fluid changed too on the Accord. Could the distributor cap or spark plug wires have anything to do with this problem? I'm just nervous to go back to the dealership because replacing the O2 sensor did nothing and I'm wondering if it was even necessary. I also found this site www.in.honda.com where dealers must go to look up TSBs or something. Wish I had access to that. Frustrating when we bought the Accord because we thought it would be a reliable vehicle.