General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RPM fluctuations (Problem Solved!)

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 07:17 PM
Default RPM fluctuations (Problem Solved!)

OK. I have searched the forum and have not seen a post with a problem identical to mine. This one is on my '95 V6 (it seems to be the problem child, it is actually my wife's, but I inherited the care of it when I married her so now I consider it my own).
Anyway...this only happens occasionally and I am stumped. Every now and then the Tachometer will go nuts and jump around for a while. Usually jumps from 0 to about 3000, back and forth. Sometimes it will jump around for a few minutes, then drop down to 0 for a long time, then it will start jumping again. At first I thought it was just a faulty gauge, or connection, whatever. But I noticed when it is jumping around like that, the engine seems to "shudder" I guess would be a good way of describing it. Nothing major, but noticeable. Like say I'm going down the interstate and I have the cruise set on 70. The needle starts jumping and the engine just doesn't feel right, kind of like it is missing or something. I do have a CEL, but I haven't checked the code yet. I plan on going to AutoZone this weekend to pull the code.
Anybody got any suggestions or tests I could try to diagnose this?
P.S. I am having the t-belt, water pump, & seals changed next weekend as the car has 113k on it (I know, I know, I'm overdue.)
I also don't have any idea the last time the spark plugs/wires were changed, if they have ever been changed at all. I plan on doing that myself if I can get to them and if I can get my hands on a torque wrench sometime soon.

Old 05-04-2007, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: RPM fluctuations

On models w/ distributors, the ignitor generates apulsed voltage signal that the instrument panel interprets as RPM. I think you have a coil over plug (COP) system, which is probably similar. In any case a failing coil, ignitor, or spark plug may cause a spurious signal that upsets the instrument panel rpm detection circuit. That CEL may be indicate a miss on a cylinder which would tell you which cylinder has a defective component. I would start w/ a new spark plug for that cylinder and see if that fixes the problem. Next you might move the COP to another cylinder and see if problem follows. If yes, then a new or used COP would be needed. I think they are pretty expensive.

good luck

good luck

Old 05-05-2007, 04:37 AM

Thanks Texas. I'm seriously hoping it is merely a spark plug. I am pretty sure the current plugs need to be replaced. I'm going to AutoZone tomorrow & pull the codes for the CEL. I'll update.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:54 AM

TexasHonda, a COP system does not have a distributor/plug wirescorrect? The V6 does have a distributor with plug wires running from itself to the plugs so I don't think it is a COP system. I think Honda started using the COP system on the 2000 V6's.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:16 PM

So I went to Autozone yesterday & pulled the CEL codes with their scan tool. It gave me 2 codes: P0725 (engine speed input circuit malfunction)and P0141(Oxygen Sensor).
So.....TheAutoZone gave various "troubleshooting" for the P0725listed as follows:
Definition
Engine Speed Input Circuit Malfunction - ECM to TCM
Probable Causes
1.-Open or short circuit condition
2.-Poor electrical connection
3.-TCM/PCM communication error

The PCM has determined that a malfunction exists in the electrical circuit for the engine speed input.

Definition
Engine speed input circuit malfunction
Explanation
Open or short circuit condition
Probable Causes
1.-Poor Electrical Connection
2.-Check communication error
3.-Failed CKP sensor

Definition
TCC does not engaged
Probable Causes
Check ignition system for faults

Definition
Engine speed input circuit malfunction
Probable Causes
1.-Short or open circuit condition in the CKP circuit
2.-CKP sensor malfunction
3.-Harness or connector damage from TCM to ECM

Definition
RPM input-Lock-up clutch does not engage
Probable Causes
1.-Poor connection at ignition coil
2.-short or open ignition coil wire
3.-Failed ignition control

Definition
Engine speed signal circuit

Definition
Failed crankshaft position sensor signal
Probable Causes
3.-Mechanical condition
4.-Faulty crank sensor

Definition
Engine speed signal from ECM to TCM missing
Probable Causes

Definition
Engine speed input low to TCM
Explanation
Vehicle in drive throttle more than 12%-Engine speed
Input to TCM from PCM incorrect
Probable Causes
1.-Poor connection between PCM and TCM
2.-Open or short circuit condition
3.-Failed TCM or PCM

Definition
Engine Speed Input Circuit Malfunction - CKP Sensor
Probable Causes
3.-Failed CKP sensor

I'm sorry for such a long post. I just wanted to include EVERYTHING that was on the print out from AutoZone. As I mentioned earlier, I am going to be replacing the plugs/wires soon.Does anyone thinka bad plug or wirecould be causing this? Anyone think the O2 sensor trouble code will go away after I fix whatever is throwing the P0725 code?

Old 05-08-2007, 03:09 PM
Default RE: RPM fluctuations (Trouble codes from AutoZone now posted!)

I have had similiar engine behavior on a 4 gen, turned out to be a faulty idle air control valve.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:11 PM

Thanks zexkid37.
OK so I'm pretty new to this aspect of the engine.I see the IAC isattached to the throttle body. My Haynes gives instructions fora "check" procedure. Looks like I may need an adittional tachometer to check it. I'll have to see if I can find one of those around here.
Anybody else got any suggestions on what could be causing the CELcode(s)?

Old 05-08-2007, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

My 97 Acura TL manual lists P0725 as an ignition coil fault. I'm pretty sure the P codes are standard codes, same for all vehicles, so you may have some faulty info from AZ, but I could be wrong. Since you have a distributor, a coil fault is a distinct possibility. In that case the rpm signal is generated by ignitor as I described above. Coil is usually cheaper than the ignitor. A faulty (usually won't start car) coil can be detected by measuring primary and secondary resistance w/ a precision VOM against specification.

The fault is very similar to faults I've had w/ engine speed (ignition coil). The wiring problem is possible, but low probablity. Check your wires and harnesses.

I wouldn't worry about the O2 sensor fault until I got the engine miss/rpm problem fixed. It may go away on fixing the rpm problem.

CKP fault generates a separate fault code, P0335.

good luck

Old 05-09-2007, 09:36 AM

I think you are right about the fault codes being universal. Here is a site that shows general descriptions of what all the codes are supposed to mean: http://autorepair.about.com/cs/troub...l_obd_main.htm
It says the same thing as AZ about my codes, but I do not doubt it could be wrong and you could be right! Couldn't a faulty ignitor/coil tecnically be listed as a problem with the "engine speed input circuit"?
By "precision VOM" do you mean a multimeter that can read volts & ohms?
Sorry for all the questions. I just really would liketo get this thing diagnosed this weekend when I am at my dad's house with the car .

Old 05-09-2007, 10:12 AM

VOM

Volt
Ohm
Meter

Quick Reply: RPM fluctuations (Problem Solved!)