General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

RPM fluctuations (Problem Solved!)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 09:50 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: RPM fluctuations (Trouble codes from AutoZone now posted!)

not to test the coil , but the blue wire from the coil to the (TCM ) .. there should be 4 wires at the coil connector,, ( blue. green, black/yellow, and yellow, )
the blue wire is the 1 we want to test right now ., the green wire comes from the ignitor to the coil .

perform the test that i suggested on earlier post

Old 05-22-2007, 09:12 AM

Wait a minute...now I'm really confused. Where is the TCM?From reading your above posts I gather you aretalking aboutthe connection there. "TCM" stands for Transmission Control Module right? I'm sorry...I'm new to all of this electrical stuff. This Haynes manual is good in some cases andsucks in others. I need to invest in a Helms.

Also...when I find the connection you are referring to,when I "chk for voltage between A5 ( positive Blue wire ) and A 13 ( negative brown/black wire )"do I place the red probe from the VOM on the positive blue wire and place the black probe from the VOM on the negative brown/black wire?

I am not trying to tie up deserthonda here, so if anyone else knows the answers to my questions, please feel free to answer at will!

Old 05-22-2007, 06:43 PM

Does anybody know where the TCM is?

Old 05-22-2007, 06:52 PM

I believe it's under the dash on the drivers side.... just a little box that resembles and ECU...

Old 05-22-2007, 08:09 PM

Thanks nasty. i was worried someone was gonna say that. I see aTON of wires down there. Some are going into a bright blue box right above the fuses.I have a feeling that bright blue box is the TCM. I really don't know how the heck to get in there and be able to do anything unless I remove the drivers seat and the dashboard. Plus I cannot tell which is the A(26) connector. I know desert says to check here first, but I am scared to start unpluggingthings unless I know what I am unplugging!
I'll try to take a picture or two and post to see if anyone thinks I am looking in the right place.

Old 05-22-2007, 08:30 PM

I took some pictures.

Is the bright blue box in these two pictures the TCM or am I way off? The picture was taken from under the steering wheel. As you can see, the fuses are below the bright blue box.

[IMG]local://upfiles/7626/DBC93B0D346F4775AAA2DD1BDE76F076.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/7626/C82E50F7635045EB88596F2D203047C8.gif[/IMG]

Old 05-25-2007, 10:34 AM

I called a Honda Shop today (I'm taking my 2000 LX in there on tuesday for t-belt, water pump, & seals changed) and I asked the guy on the phone if he knew where the TCM was. He said his computer was showing that it is within the dash, kind of behind the radio. But he said that didn't sound right to him. He thought it was beneath the kick panel on the passenger side floorboard next to the ECU. He said it would be smaller than the ECU but look similar.
I'll try to get in there this weekend and pull back the carpet & kick panel and hope that is where it is! I'll let yall know.

Old 05-25-2007, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

Here's a '95 LX V-6...

#1 is the trans. controller.
#14 is the engine ECU.
You'll notice the picture isn't very good about pointing out exactly where it's located in the cartoon of the car... Maybe both are bolted to the underside of that plate #15??

Old 05-25-2007, 03:06 PM

Thanks JimBlake! I think you are right. And thanks SO MUCH for the pic! That is what it looks like to me anyways, and that would confirm what the tech at the Honda shop told me. I am soooo glad I was wrong about it being the blue box in the pics I posted earlier. I think I would havehad toremove the drivers seat and the steering wheel to get my big230lb *** in there to work on it if it were under the driver's side dash!
Where did you get this pic from? Did it come from a Helm? The only reason I ask is Ihave not been able to find any kind of diagram such as this ineither Haynes or Chilton. I think I have come to the realization that I need to bite the bullet and spend the money on a Helm if I want a GOOD manual.

Old 05-28-2007, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

That's from hondaautomotiveparts.com

Other parts sites have the same pictures, so I bet they comefromHonda's electronic parts catalog.

Quick Reply: RPM fluctuations (Problem Solved!)