General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RPM problem whit my 92 accord EX!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 06:08 PM
Norway
Unregistered
Default RPM problem whit my 92 accord EX!!!

Hi folks, i`m new to this forum and i have a RPM problem whit my 92 model accord EX. First i whant to say that i`m from norway so my english is a bit bad but hopefully you will understad.
This is my second honda accord, my first one was a 86 model EX. The funny thing is that i have had the same problem whit both my cars and no one has been able to fix the problem.
This is the problem: in the winter time when the teperature out side is minus ziro to twenty degrees celsius the cars rpm whant go down! when i start the car the rpm is aprox 1500 rpm and slowly goes up to aprox 2000-2500 rpm. I guess that nothing is wrong whit that but it stayes at 2000-2500 rpm even when engine is at normal temperature. Sometimes i can drive 30 km before the rpm goes down to normal! this problem is driving me nuts in the winter! ever tryed to breake down a car in the snow whit the rpm at 2500? it sucks
Any one had the same problem before?

Regards from norway

Old 04-14-2006, 07:08 PM
Default RE: RPM problem whit my 92 accord EX!!!

Welcome to the forum! I'm not sure myself about why it would be doing that on two different cars but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to answer your question, what I am curious about though is does this happen to anyone else you know? Or has it just been with your two cars?

Old 04-14-2006, 11:26 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

edit*

Old 04-15-2006, 01:58 AM
Administrator

Welcome to you from the forums here in the USA..

Enjoy the people in here, they are a good lot...

WheelBrokerAng [sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 04-15-2006, 02:06 AM

I think a 92 Accord would be Fuel Injected, my 94 civic is fuel injected. The Idle Air Control (IAC) controls the amount of air that enters the engine at idle. You can adjust this by disconnecting the IAC motor and turning a screw on the throttle body. You turn the screw until the engine is at the RPM you want it to be and then you reconnect the IAC motor. I don't know if that will work, but it might. How does the car idle during the summer?

Old 04-15-2006, 08:30 AM

ORIGINAL: AgentofDarkness

I think a 92 Accord would be Fuel Injected, my 94 civic is fuel injected. The Idle Air Control (IAC) controls the amount of air that enters the engine at idle. You can adjust this by disconnecting the IAC motor and turning a screw on the throttle body. You turn the screw until the engine is at the RPM you want it to be and then you reconnect the IAC motor. I don't know if that will work, but it might. How does the car idle during the summer?

duh... wow

Old 04-15-2006, 02:44 PM
Norway
Unregistered

Hi, first off all, thanks for the replays) my car have no Fuel Injected it has carbs and in the summer it runs ok. It`s just in the winter time when it`s cold out side the problems starts. The workshop have never heard about the problem before so i whant spend any mony just to let them figure things out. I had my first car at the local dealer but they never did find the problem. I have notis that there is a lot of vacume at the engine, maybe thats were the problem is?

Old 04-15-2006, 03:19 PM

I looked up the fuel system for a 92 Accord and it said it has injectors. I think that you might have throttle body injection, it looks like a carb but it actually has fuel injectors inside the carb/throttle body. But your car isn't for the American market, and i can only look up cars in the American market.

Old 04-15-2006, 03:33 PM
Norway
Unregistered

Hi, in norway the 92 accord came in two models. One called EX and one called EXi. The EX has the carberatores and the EXi has the injection system. I have the EX model whit carbs.

Old 04-15-2006, 03:33 PM

ORIGINAL: Norway

Hi folks, i`m new to this forum and i have a RPM problem whit my 92 model accord EX. First i whant to say that i`m from norway so my english is a bit bad but hopefully you will understad.
This is my second honda accord, my first one was a 86 model EX. The funny thing is that i have had the same problem whit both my cars and no one has been able to fix the problem.
This is the problem: in the winter time when the teperature out side is minus ziro to twenty degrees celsius the cars rpm whant go down! when i start the car the rpm is aprox 1500 rpm and slowly goes up to aprox 2000-2500 rpm. I guess that nothing is wrong whit that but it stayes at 2000-2500 rpm even when engine is at normal temperature. Sometimes i can drive 30 km before the rpm goes down to normal! this problem is driving me nuts in the winter! ever tryed to breake down a car in the snow whit the rpm at 2500? it sucks
Any one had the same problem before?

Regards from norway
i am not sure how the european carb set up is.. 92 here in USA is fuel injected but i would have to assume that it might be similar to what the 89 accoed was....So my advices will be as if your car is similar to 89 accord carb . if i am totally off than i apologize... But here it goes.

First off..it is normal in cold climate . when you start the car, the rpm go as far up to 3000 depending on where the fast idle is set at...the idle will stay there till engine coolant starts to warm up, when that happens, there are thermovalves that open up and allow vacc to the first step of the choke pill off . reducing the fast idle speed to mmm 1300-1500 after engine is totally warmed up another thermovalve opens allowing vacc to the second hose at the choke pull off ,, here in the states ,, the hoses were # 18 and 19 ..located on the pass side of the carb on top .. if set up is the same make sure you got vacc to both of those hoses when engine is warm...Also try tapping on the accell pedal a few times see if the fast idle will pull off.... also make sure you got power at the blue/white wire at the choke housing , it also help the bimetal spring located in the choke housing release the choke,also make sure nothing is binding...choke plate is clean and free..
Again, all this i am relating is, as if car is same of usa 86-89 accords ..have the shop over there chk this stuff out ..