General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RTH. 93 Accord Fuel Pump/Relay Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 12:50 AM
Default RTH. 93 Accord Fuel Pump/Relay Issue

Sorry to start a new thread, but after searching I don't see what amounts to a "quick" answer to this question, and I really need to know in the morning.

I bought a $500 93 Accord for my 15 yr old son and last week test drove it just fine. Went back this weekend to pick it up and it wouldn't start. Cranks but no start. Seems like fuel pump or relay issue as seen on the Forum a million times. With only a few minutes to play with it at the time, pulled the air cleaner off and sprayed starting fluid in and it will start and run as long as fluid is being sprayed. The minute no fluid, it dies.

So, it seems to me it might be the fuel pump(?) but could a bad main relay also cause this behavior? We never checked fuel pressure, like at fuel the filter, and can do that tomorrow as well, but just troubleshooting from a laptop while I have a few minutes. The car is 50 miles away so I can't go out and look at it til I get back down to it tomorrow.

Anything that can be ruled out just based on that terribly lacking explanation? Thanks.

Brian

Old 04-29-2013, 05:47 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

It is more likely the Main Fuel Relay (MFR) than the fuel pump. Only way to be certain is to listen closely for main fuel relay contacts to close (couple of clicks from under driver's side of dash near footwell) when keyswitch is turned to ON. If you don't hear the clicks and fuel pump does not run, then MFR is likely. If you hear the clicks but no fuel pump run (2-3 secs then cuts off), then fuel pump could be the problem.

Another more postive but more difficult confirmation would be to check for 12V to the fuel pump connector in the trunk under carpet. If you have 12V for 2-3 secs when keyswitch is turned to ON, the MFR is not the problem and fuel pump is sticking or failed. I had a failed fuel pump that would respond to "hammering" w/ repeated on/off/on/off... from keyswitch and eventually catch and run. Car would then start.

MFR is under the dash, up high near to of dash on the outside body side of dash. You have to drop cruise control module to see the MFR. Remove bolt holding MFR to body and drop down for access to disconnect.

good luck

Old 04-29-2013, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
It is more likely the Main Fuel Relay (MFR) than the fuel pump. Only way to be certain is to listen closely for main fuel relay contacts to close (couple of clicks from under driver's side of dash near footwell) when keyswitch is turned to ON. If you don't hear the clicks and fuel pump does not run, then MFR is likely. If you hear the clicks but no fuel pump run (2-3 secs then cuts off), then fuel pump could be the problem.

Another more postive but more difficult confirmation would be to check for 12V to the fuel pump connector in the trunk under carpet. If you have 12V for 2-3 secs when keyswitch is turned to ON, the MFR is not the problem and fuel pump is sticking or failed. I had a failed fuel pump that would respond to "hammering" w/ repeated on/off/on/off... from keyswitch and eventually catch and run. Car would then start.

MFR is under the dash, up high near to of dash on the outside body side of dash. You have to drop cruise control module to see the MFR. Remove bolt holding MFR to body and drop down for access to disconnect.

good luck
Thanks. That's perfect. Exactly what I wanted to confirm. Will post back when I get done.

Then, have to get back to getting the wagon running again. Almost 2 years since timing belt broke and it hasn't moved an inch since. Still just "resting comfortably"in the garage collecting dust. I think its about time.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:02 AM

One of my brother's import buddies just told him he thought that if the relay was bad, it shouldn't get any spark, even with starting fluid so we could rule out the relay since it will run with the fluid being sprayed. It's obviously getting spark since it runs with starting fluid, but technically we're bypassing the whole fuel system I assume by spraying fluid directly into the TB. So does that make any sense?

(I haven't got to the car yet. My brother was just asking me questions after talking to one of his friends about it).

Old 04-29-2013, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Yes, if it starts/runs w/ starter fluid, then fuel delivery is the problem. However, it could be either MFR or fuel pump.

good luck

Old 04-29-2013, 11:51 AM

Gotcha. Makes sense. Thanks again.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:10 PM

Well I never made it back to the car today, but my brother just called and said it started right up after he had the charger on it all day. I'm sure it's probably totally unrelated, but as long as it works til I get it home, I'll go through it all. It needs a total fumigation inside so it'll sit for a few days while I gut the interior and powerwash/sanitize the whole interior. The guy before was a total pig.

Attached Thumbnails RTH. 93 Accord Fuel Pump/Relay Issue-imag1302.jpg   RTH. 93 Accord Fuel Pump/Relay Issue-imag1305.jpg   RTH. 93 Accord Fuel Pump/Relay Issue-imag1306.jpg  
Old 05-05-2013, 12:26 PM

Made it back down there yesterday expecting(but not really) it to start right up. Sure enough. Same story. Just cranks. Pulled out the relay to take a quick look but didn't see any evidence of the soldered connections cracked or gapped out like most of the online pics show. Didn't hear the clicks though so maybe still bad relay. Only had a few minutes so left it at that for now. Brother talked to previous owner and said it was an "intermittent problem". "Some times it would just die and he'd have to wait awhile then it would start again. "

Old 05-05-2013, 10:14 PM

Intermittent sounds like the relay. When a fuel pump goes out, it usually stays out. Find out if the fuel pump is getting power (for two seconds) when you turn the key to on.

Old 05-11-2013, 12:02 AM

So I bought the fuel relay from Rockauto for $35 or so. Brought it with to bring car home today and it started right up. So I just left the relay sitting on the dash, in the box, taunting it to go ahead and try not to start. . Put about 100 miles on it today and vacuumed it out, Lysoled the dash and all the plastic, and hosed off the filthy floormats. Cleaned up a lot better than I thought it would. I was going to pull the seats out to vacuum under them better but there's a quarter stuck in the seat track so I couldn't get the seat slid out of the way to get at the back bolts.
Project for another day shampooing everything up.
Oh, and I apparently will be needing a driver's side axle soon too. Click, click, grind, on turning hard. Oh well, done enough of them to make quick work if that.
Cheers

Quick Reply: RTH. 93 Accord Fuel Pump/Relay Issue