General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Same transmission problems, plus stuttering engine...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 04:57 PM
Default Same transmission problems, plus stuttering engine...

Ok, so I had the trans. fluid changed about 2 weeks ago, and as I posted before, it runs better, but still has some issues with slipping. Both "check engine" and "maintenence required lights" are on... I'm going to go ahead and have the car diagnosed Friday and see what the damage is. Also, I changed the sparkplugs about a month ago using plain ol' Champion plugs (nuthin' special). The car runs smoother and has better response, but after those dashlights appeared, the car began to stutter after turning it on. Also, it seems to be a little sluggish upon initial acceleration... A few weeks ago, I bought some engine degreaser and cleaned the motor up. Well, last night I checked the oil and noticed that some oil has crept back onto the valve covers... Is this maybe a bad head gasket that is causing the rough start? Or maybe one (or all) o2 sensors are causing it? Or both!? I'm notsure the o2 sensors have ever been replaced... Oh, and BTW, i've decided t keep the car and fix it up rather than get rid of her all too soon. In fact, I ordered my AEM short-ram intake in red this morning! I probably should have kept that money for repairs though... Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Old 09-27-2007, 05:19 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Same transmission problems, plus stuttering engine...

The maintenance required light is just a timer. Hold the odometer reset button while the car is off, then turn the key to on while holding the button (no need to start the engine). Hold it for a minute or 2 and it will flash and then go out. that'll take care of that light!

IDK if Champion plugs cause problems, but NGK are prefered, I have densos which are also good.

Oil on the valve covers? Check the breather tubes. If a vacuum line is not connected, that will make the car run crappy too.

If you think the head gasket is shot, look for foam in the oil and oil in the coolant. Also keep an eye on the oil and coolant levels.

For tranny fluid, if it was really bad, you have to change the fluid 2-3 times sinnce 2/3 of the ATF is in the torque converter rather than the pan.

I you're going to keep the car, get a Hayden 403 tranny cooler for your next upgrade. It will extend the life of your tranny.

Old 09-27-2007, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Same transmission problems, plus stuttering engine...

Drive the car to Autozone and have them read the codes for the CEL. Then post them on here (they should be P####).

The ECU doesn't use the O2 sensors right after starting. It waits until the engine warms up.

If oil is on the valve cover, then the source has to be at that level. Look for cracks in the valve cover, distrubtor leaking at the cam, PCV valve, oil cap, etc.