General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blower motor relay location

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 10:18 AM
billgrego
Unregistered
Default Blower motor relay location

I am trying to find the location of the blower motor relay on a 1988 Honda Accord LXi. I was able to test the blower motor located under the right side dash and it checked OK. I would appreciate any suggestion or help.

Old 09-26-2007, 02:07 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Blower motor relay location

what is the problem that you are having ?? there is no relay

Old 09-26-2007, 03:34 PM
billgrego
Unregistered

[:@]The blower motor does not come on when I select any of the four settings on the switch. I ran a direct 12 volts to the blower motor and it runs just fine. According to a manual it states there is a relay in the circuit. Perhaps the manual has a misprint. The only other thing possible is the switch inself. However, I have never seen aswitch fail on all four positions. Thanks for your reply. Do you have any other suggestions?

Old 09-26-2007, 04:22 PM

ORIGINAL: billgrego

Do you have any other suggestions?
did you chk the fuse # 22, 40 amps.. ?? like i said there is no relay,, there is a resistor ....but if it goes bad blower motor should work on high speed only ... chk to make sure that you get power at the blue/white wire and ground at the blu/black wire at the motor plug ..
If you applied direct power to blue/white and motor worked , i would have to assume that the ground path ( blue/black ) is ok,, SO .. sounds like you are not getting any power at blue/white wire

power on that wire comes from the ignition switch ,, you need to chk that there is power at blue/white wire coming out of ignition switch,, If there is NOT and fuse was ok,, most likely you got a bad ignition switch ,, ( chk as close to switch as possible ) to avoid the possability of a broken wire ..........Now if you got power coming out of the switch and no power at blue/white at blower motor you got an open in the blue/white wire somewhere

Old 09-26-2007, 09:48 PM
billgrego
Unregistered

Thank you for your time. I will make the tests you suggested. I did check the 40 amp fuse and found it OK. I will get back to you if and when I find a solution to the problem. Again thanks for the time you have given to my problem.
billgrego

Old 09-27-2007, 05:51 PM
billgrego
Unregistered

deserthonda, the ignition switch is bad. At the blue and white wire coming out of the switch, I fed 12 volts directly into it. The blower motor came on. All speeds worked also. It was only a matter of time before the ignition part of the switch failed, probably leaving me stranded somewhere. I felt the back of the switch and it was a little hotter than normal. Thank you for your help. You had the problem figured out correctly. I have a Dodge Dynasty which was continually burning out the blower motor part of the ignition switch. Sometimes after aging, a blower motor will pull more current. This can result in early ignition switch blower motor failure. After replacing three ignition switches, I put a relay in the circuit. Now the ignition switch only had to supply a little current to close the relay. The relay fed 12 volts through an inline fuse directly from the battery to the blower motor. It's been 4 years and no more ignition switch burnout. I am going to replace the Honda ignition switch and put a relay in the circuit. Again thanks for your help.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:37 PM

glad to hear that you got it resolved........you should only replace the electrical part of the ignition switch , it costs around 60-80 dollars at the dealer