General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

School me on changing MTF

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 07:20 PM
Default RE: School me on changing MTF

Hey all,

Okay, So last week I tried dealing with the MTF. I couldn't for the life of me find the fill plug. The honda manual I have has a picture with absolutly no context around it. Meaning it's a close up of the area, but I have no idea where exactly. The picture also has the plugs next to each other, though, from this post..I thought they had some distance..one on top and one on bottom. I managed to turn my wheel and get under the car. I think I see the drain plug. But the fill..... no clue. I have a rough idea where it's suppose to be located ..thanks to this thread...howeve...I couldn't see sh*t from under the hood. I think I should post a photo of my engine, maybe someone can photoshop some arrows for me. Any volunteers..

I really, really need to change the fluid out. It's cold, and my car really hates when I creep to a stop sign and try to get back into first gear.

Old 01-31-2007, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

Did you find the drain plug directly below the axle? The fill plug should be above & back-at the same elevation as the axle centerline.

Pretend you're looking directly down the axle. Drain plug is at 6 oclock, fill plug at 9 oclock.

The axle seal is #13, that's were the axle will be located. Drain plug is #10, it's got a square hole fora 3/8" socket extension without a socket. The fill plug is #14, I think it's 17mm wrench size. It has a wide flange around the head so it looks different than all the other tranny case bolts.

Old 01-31-2007, 09:26 PM

if you are having troubles finding it you may be able to see it more easily if you slide under the car and put your head right under the axle, then look straight up along the back of the tranny and like jimblake said your drainplug will be easily visible right there and the fill plug will be almost directly above it and back towards the center of the engine bay... once you've located it you can deal with it from above but that's probably the easiest way to find it...

Old 02-01-2007, 02:35 PM

thanks for the diagram. I wish it weren't so cold out, but I'll have to crawl under this week-end to check it

Just out of curiousity, it looks like the the fill plug is on the side..correct. How does it fill from the top if the plus is on the side.

Old 02-01-2007, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

The plug is located at the correct elevation for the fluid level - when the car is sitting down on a level floor.

Get 2 foot of hose that fits on a funnel - stick the hose into the hole, pour oil until it starts running out. Go slow so it doesn't make too much mess & waste.

Some people take out the VSS (in the other section of the tranny case), pour it in there. You still take off the fill plug so you know when it's full.

Old 02-01-2007, 07:08 PM

You can actually (ghetto but it works) just take a funnel and buy a cheap piece of hose from the parts store and duct tape it together to refill the tranny

Old 02-01-2007, 07:39 PM

Last question, I promise.

Would it be conveinent for me to jack up the one side.. slide under, open the fill, stick hose in and then up through the top of the car, open the drain plug, lower car...let drain. raise car... close drain plug, lower car.... fill tranny... raise car...close fill plug.

what do you think.... my clearance under this car isn't much. but I don;t want to drain and fill tranny while car is jacked up. so the raise and lower thing..just to be sure..

yes.. no?

Old 02-01-2007, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator

That sounds liketoo much work...

Besides, I wouldn't go under the carwhen it's on a jack. Support it properly.

Drive up on ramps, or use proper jackstands.Once you find the fill plug, you should be able to actually do the filling from the top.

I don't know what's in the way on your year, but maybe remove the rubber intake hose & stuff like that. It'll get easier next time & you'll be able to do it without jacking it up.

Old 02-02-2007, 12:07 PM

yeah. Good call!! Thanks for the help . hopefully I'll have good new for Monday.