General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screwed up royally

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 10:32 PM
Default Screwed up royally

My son put five gallons of diesel in a 2008 Honda Accord. Bummer! He started the engine for a short time and it clattered. . I am trying to figure out how to hot wire the pump motor so that I can pump the diesel out to where the fuel line is connected at the engine. I don't know if that is the place to do that or not. But also I do not know connections at the pump plug are negative and positive. there are four wires on the plug. This is the only way I know that I could possibly get the diesel out of the tank. If any one has a remedy I sure would appreciate hearing from you. thanks
Ken

Old 06-11-2019, 07:11 AM
Super Moderator

Probably the easiest is to do that at the main-relay. Not sure if I have it (only have the 1998-2002 book), but someone here can try to find the location of that relay and which blades you should jumper for your 7th-gen car.

All you should need is a short wire (couple inches) with blade lugs that you poke into the proper 2 holes where the relay is. Also need some kind of hoses to connect at the engine. V6 or 4-cyl??

Old 06-11-2019, 09:14 AM

Thank you for the reply JIm. My son has a book, I will see if I can find the relay.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:34 PM

Well, I will post an update. I never did find a fuel pump relay. instead of trying to figure out how to apply power to the fuel pump to get the diesel out of the tank which we could never figure out what post were the negative and the positive ones. So we got the 4inch OD plastic nut loose and pulled the pump assembly out of the tank. I had a 12volt pump which we pumped the diesel out with. Poured new gasoline into the tank and pumped it out. Poured gasoline into the fuel line at the fuel rail to flush out the line back to the tank. Poured more fresh gasoline into tank and pumped it out for a second time. d pumped that out. Added new gasoline once more and wrapped all that up. At this time engine will not start up. We do have pressure at the fuel rail inlet. Working on pulling spark plugs at this update.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

I assume the starter cranks but it won't start up?

I've had fuel-fouled plugs (a long time ago) that looked real nice & clean so I was too stubborn (cheap) to replace them. Finally with brand new plugs it started right up. Just saying that its possible for plugs to look really good and still not fire properly.

Old 06-12-2019, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
I assume the starter cranks but it won't start up?

I've had fuel-fouled plugs (a long time ago) that looked real nice & clean so I was too stubborn (cheap) to replace them. Finally with brand new plugs it started right up. Just saying that its possible for plugs to look really good and still not fire properly.
It cranks but won't start/run. Pulled one plug and is black, they are original 73,000miles age. Will be getting some plugs today. I don't know for sure but I would imagine that the O2 sensor is probably contaminated also.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:21 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Ken Smith
It cranks but won't start/run. Pulled one plug and is black, they are original 73,000miles age. Will be getting some plugs today. I don't know for sure but I would imagine that the O2 sensor is probably contaminated also.
You might try using some carb cleaner on the O2 sensor to clean it, since it only ran for a short time on the diesel. Yeah, if the plugs are black, they are fouled and need replacement.