General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seafoam When?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 08:25 AM
Default Seafoam When?

Hello to all.

I know I知 not posted to much but I知 always seeing the forum, this time I have a question regarding the use of seafoam engine cleaning, I already saw a lot of videos in youtube how to use it, but in not quite sure when to use it, I mean this must be performed before general maintenance? (Oil change) or can be used at any time?

The seafoam wont damage the engine? In the videos looks a lot of smoke, this is just for few miles?

Thanks to all for your support

Old 05-20-2013, 08:49 AM

Seafoam is just a petroleum distillate. It won't ruin anything, but I would not recommend leaving it in between oil changes. It changes the viscosity of the oil, though it doesn't necessarily break down the molecules themselves. The smoke is from it being added to the upper cylinders through a vacuum line, and burning off carbon and other gunk, you're supposed to high idle it (2500 RPM) for 2-5 minutes or so, the smoke stops eventually.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

Regarding your question of "When", I would say never unless your car has been very poorly maintained, and even then I wouldn't recommend using Seafoam. Why? My personal opinion is that it is a waste of money and I've yet to see even a single verifiable instance where it helped anything.

Long story short, properly maintain your car, get your oil changes on time and use a high quality oil and the engine will far outlast the rest of the car.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:49 AM

^Yep, though it can sometimes be a fun thing to throw a third of a can into the intake and spray smoke all over the street.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:42 PM

Hello to all.

I just wanna say thanks for your support on this topic, now looks clear for me.

In the other side what oil is the most recommend, right know I知 using Liqui Moly 5W-40 and works very good for my point of view with ceratec additive in all oil changes.

In the other side the sea foam is recommended in the gas tank? Just to clean injectors? To be honest I want to avoid used with the oil as Kayway mentioned because will change the viscosity.

Thanks to all for the answers.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

From my perspective, using Seafoam or any other product of that ilk when no problem is apparent is simply throwing money away. The fact is that modern fuel has all of the additives and detergents necessary to keep fuel injectors in tip-top shape for hundreds of thousands of miles. As for using Liqui Moly 5W-40, yikes, what year was your engine built? I cannot think of a single Honda motor built in the last twenty to twenty five years that needs such a heavy oil. Said another way, 0W-30 or 5W-50 for engines built up to about 2000 is the correct oil, and since then pretty much everything needs either 0W-20 or 5W-20.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
From my perspective, using Seafoam or any other product of that ilk when no problem is apparent is simply throwing money away. The fact is that modern fuel has all of the additives and detergents necessary to keep fuel injectors in tip-top shape for hundreds of thousands of miles. As for using Liqui Moly 5W-40, yikes, what year was your engine built? I cannot think of a single Honda motor built in the last twenty to twenty five years that needs such a heavy oil. Said another way, 0W-30 or 5W-50 for engines built up to about 2000 is the correct oil, and since then pretty much everything needs either 0W-20 or 5W-20.

Thanks for your support I'll keep in mind! But you are right now looks as you said is a waste of money.

In the other hand thanks for the tip for the oil