General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

setting timing

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 01:05 AM
Default setting timing

how do I set timimg from sctatch on f23a1

Old 02-16-2008, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: srtting timing

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "from scratch". The timing belt needs to be installed properly with all of the marks on the pulleys lining up.

The spark timing is done by the ECU, but you can adjust the base timing. Loosen the distributor and turn it until the mark on the crank pulley is seen with a timing light. I don't know what the advance is for a 98 accord, but a haynes manual will have that information.

Old 02-16-2008, 06:13 PM

no I mean my crank pulley and key spun off balancer cam and crank all freeturn meed to know how to set the timing

Old 02-16-2008, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

barrow, its pretty tought to read your description of the problem. Please describe what happened in some detail.

Did the key break on the crankshaft or the bolt? Did the timing belt jump off its sprockets at all? I would certainly make sure that the timing belt is on properly, because your engine will get damaged if the belt is not on correctly.

Once you are sure that the timing belt didn't jump, then the crankshaft pulley can only be installed one way. The slot in that pulley goes over the key and the crankshaft bolt holds it all in place.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:28 AM
Default RE: setting timing

sorry about that when the pulley spun off and the key fell out. it left the cam belt free to turn at will. eg... not with the crank anymore. so I need to get the crank back in tdc. whats the best way. I need to get the cam in tdc again whats the best way. and c the ballancer is not set with the crank any more t belt popped off when pulley came off. so I need to know how to set the balance shaft cam and crank back in time. I cannpt merely line all the keyways up and install bc theres like a 2% chance I'll get the correct timing that way. not the chance I wanna take with a interference motor

Old 02-17-2008, 11:09 AM

i have the same exact problem.. my crank bolt snapped got it out and put the new one on but the key popped out and the timimg is all messed up.. so i need to kno the timimg marks to get it runnin smooth again.. for a 95 honda accord LX 2.2L

Old 02-17-2008, 12:00 PM

this is for the 2.2l I hope it helps
http://web.archive.org/web/200408131...meBalNote.html

Old 02-17-2008, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I had a similar problem on my 97 Acura 2.5TL due to a shop error. I slowly turned the crankshaft and camshaft when necessary until both were aligned. You will feel the pistons when the contact the valves and must then turn camshaft to close valves. It took a while. In the end, it was for nothing as valves had been damaged by loss of the crankshaft pulley bolt. Head rebuild was necessary.

good luck

Old 02-17-2008, 03:12 PM

WELL i AM AFRAID OF BENT VALVES ALSO BUT WONT KNOW TILL i CAN START IT. if I need a new head I will just buy the motor I found for 200

Old 02-17-2008, 07:15 PM

to time your engine - see timing belt replacement instructions and line all the marks. be sure the distributor rotor is at number one.

Quick Reply: setting timing