General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shift solenoid identification 2000 accord 2.3

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 02:40 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Shift solenoid identification 2000 accord 2.3

2000 Accord EX 2.3 automatic
186k miles (Trans was rebuilt around 20k miles ago)

I know the 4 shift solenoids and their locations : the linear shift solenoid, the lockup solenoid(torque converter clutch?), and 2 shift control solenoids.

Can anyone give me a breakdown of the shift solenoids & which one controls which gear shift? IE. shift solenoid A controls 1st-2nd shift, shift solenoid b controls, 2nd -3rd shift? Is that how they are identified for their function?

I need to know which solenoid controls the 3rd - 4th gear shift. I could not find much info about it even after searching.

Reason being, I sometimes have a 3rd-4th shifting problem on cold mornings in which I will get a flashing "D4" light and and code p0780 (It just hangs instead of shifting into gear). This only happens during the first few minutes of running when costing downhill under no load (If I keep it in "D3" I dont get the code). It works fine if your are driving normally on a level road. I also occasionally get a rpm flare/spike in the 3rd to 4th shift also.

It almost certainly seems like a shift solenoid.

I already had the trans shop who rebuilt it look at it, however they were unable to replicate the problem probably due to the different geographical locations; I live in the mountains at the top of a hill (going down a large hill is when the problem occurs), they're 30 miles away in a valley with flat roads. Even after tearing the trans apart last year they couldn't find anything wrong, and won't just replace the solenoid without replicating the problem.

It out of warranty anyway so its my problem.

SOo, can anyone tell which solenoid controls the 3rd - 4th gear shift?

Thanks!

Old 03-05-2012, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

Suggest a good manual, for 3 to 4 shifts, one of the possibles is the shift C.

Attached Thumbnails Shift solenoid identification 2000 accord 2.3-6th-gen-4-cyl-auto-3-4-shifts.jpg   Shift solenoid identification 2000 accord 2.3-6th-gen-4cyl-trans-comp-loc.jpg   Shift solenoid identification 2000 accord 2.3-6th-gen-shift-b-c-tests.jpg  
Old 03-06-2012, 08:32 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Wow, awesome, thanks for the info. Your help is greatly appreciated.

I ordered shift solenoid C (lower solenoid w/ Brown connector), 28500-P6H-003. Will post the results.

On a side note, even after looking up the parts by my VIN, it still showed Keihin or Denso shift solenoids on majestic honda.

I jumped the gun a little and ordered the Keihin, but what is the real difference between Keihin and Denso solenoids? (denso costs double).

About the manuals, I was actually gonna buy the oem Honda service manuals, but I plan on selling this car. The automatic in my car is the most problematic transmission I've ever dealt with, due the intermittent problems. The transmission shop that worked on it said its the worst automatic they ever dealt with in 20 some years of business. It works ok and has never failed on me but has shift gremlins that come and go; I don't wish to deal with them.

I broke my own rule in buying an automatic, I think I'll look into a manual accord soon if I can find one.
Sorry for the story. lol.

Thanks again for the info.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:56 PM
Default Any updates

Any good news on the problem with shift solenoid u replace

Old 03-13-2012, 09:22 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I just got the parts in a few days ago. I didn't have a chance to install the new solenoid yet. Probably later this week. I'll update the thread then.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:38 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Well After installing the new solenoid (C) and driving it around for a few weeks, I still have the problem with this code under the circumstanced mentioned.

Anyone run into this before? Can the fluid be due for a change (only 1 year old)?

Old 03-27-2012, 07:58 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I was hoping you were going to be able to fix your problem.

You are right that generation of Accords 98-02 is well known for its transmission problems.

Are you sure the trans has Honda fluid in it and not Mercon/dextron?

Old 04-20-2012, 08:37 PM
Default You may want to check the pipes in the clutch pressure control solenoid

I got a similar problem with my 1999 Honda Accord V6. What I found was the little pipes were blocked by debris. After cleaning, the problem was gone. Make sure you change the gasket too to avoid leakage.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:54 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by old9th
I got a similar problem with my 1999 Honda Accord V6. What I found was the little pipes were blocked by debris. After cleaning, the problem was gone. Make sure you change the gasket too to avoid leakage.
What pipes do you mean exactly?

Fluid passages somewhere? Please elaborate

Old 04-23-2012, 05:32 PM
Default please look at the picture of the solenoid

look at the attached, part # 2, 3, 4, 5 are pipes in the soleniod.

Attached Thumbnails Shift solenoid identification 2000 accord 2.3-1999-honda-accord-transmission.jpg  

Quick Reply: Shift solenoid identification 2000 accord 2.3