General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shift Solenoid Location 2002 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 03:49 PM
Default Shift Solenoid Location 2002 Accord

Hello,

I am for sure a newbie here but I wanted to find and check the shift solenoid on my 2002 Accord SE. Looking for a diagram and how to check the solenoid, someone had told me I may be able to clean the screens? When I go from 1st to 2nd it stutters and grabs, all other gears seem fine. Anything on the location would be great, front the view of me standing in front of the vehicle.

Thanks,

Frazier

Old 11-04-2012, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

Well here are the locations of them....for a 4cyl, my guess as to what engine you have.

Attached Thumbnails Shift Solenoid Location 2002 Accord-6th-gen-trans-solenoids-4-cyl.jpg  
Old 11-04-2012, 04:21 PM

Great thank you, is there a way to manually check them? If I take it off is that where the screens are located and is that ok to do?

Thanks,
Frazier

Old 11-04-2012, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, the o-ring/gasket between the solenoids and the trans case have a screen on one side.....clean that. Also to check the solenoids you can apply battaery voltage to them and verify a "click".

A trans fluid change with Honda Trans fluid is never a bad idea, when was the last time it was changed?

Last, sorry. The auto trans in the 98-02 is kind of known for being made of glass.....so I hope the tests and fluid change will keep it going for you.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:24 PM

Thanks, only had it a few months and I did read up on the transmission problems. I was not able to access it due to one of the bolts getting partially stripped. Will have to work on it tomorrow probably, I appreciate your help and will keep you posted.

Frazier

Old 11-05-2012, 07:25 PM

Hello,

I am wondering what I should clean the screens with within the solenoid/

Thanks,

Frazier

Old 11-05-2012, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

Me, I like brake cleaner - for things like this - as it does not leave residue behind.....carb cleaners leave a film of some sorts, helps lube linkages or something like that. Again I'm not a chem engineer...I think there is one on here

Then again the amount of left over residue from the carb cleaner prob would not make a hill of beans difference to the trans fluid......just my two cents.

I know, went in circles on this one...sorry.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:56 PM

Hello,

Thanks, ya the screens were pretty dang dirty. I cleaned them, the rubber gasket looked good. I installed the solenoid and took my car for a little spin and it pretty much did the same thing, stuttering going into second, if I went slow it shifted pretty good. I know I still need to do the transmission flush, how long does it take to see any difference if it may get better? If it does not what would you suggest buying a new/used solenoid or trying something else?

Thanks,

Frazier

Old 11-06-2012, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator

You said transmission "flush"... Don't do a power-flush, Honda automatics don't like that; just drain & fill. Drive around awhile then drain & fill again, especially if the first drain came out dirty. Each drain only gets about 1/3 of the total fluid.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:50 AM

Thanks, I will give that a try. Would you suggest a new solenoid at all or wait and see if the drain works?

Thanks,
Frazier

Quick Reply: Shift Solenoid Location 2002 Accord