General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shimmy When Slowing

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 08:25 PM
Sabaka2
Unregistered
Default Shimmy When Slowing

The problem is noticable when exiting freeway and slowing from 50+ mph toa stop. There is a rapid shaking in the steering wheel and you can feel a shaking as you brake. The problem isn't noticable whenslowing from slower speeds, e.g., 30 mph. The 2002 Accord had new front brakes 20,000 miles back. The rotors and pads look good. Total milage is 80,000. I'm wondering if this an ABS issue of some sort? Or maybe a bad bearing?Does anyone have a checklist of things to check or any ideas? Thanks.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:29 PM
Default RE: Shimmy When Slowing

A common cause of this is warped rotors. And a common cause of warped rotors is unequal torque applied to the lug nuts when tightening. I don't know if there's an easy way to check them at home.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:37 AM

It sure sounds like warped rotors to me as well....

Old 04-23-2008, 10:09 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

+1 on the unequal torque. More causes are too much lug torque and frequent, hard braking.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:26 AM

I have a similar problem on my 2004 Accord 4-dr EX 4cyl. I have 150K miles. I also have a loud humming noise, which varies at dif speeds and road surfaces.But when braking at high speeds it shakes quite a bit. I thought the noise was either a bearing or tires, so I figures I would get that checked before the rotors. It's at the dealer today - they replaced the front right rotor and said I need new tires (mine are worn, but not bald) and a 4-wheel alignment (which I new since my tires did not wear properly). When I pick up the car later I will see if the hum is gone and if the shaking is any better. If the car still shakes after all that, I will replace the rotors. I'll let you know what happens.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:20 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

pull the e-brake enough to slow down decently (don't do it with someone behind you please! your brake light won't come on) - if it still vibrates from the same place, then you have other issues.. if it only vibrates in the rear, then your rear rotors are warped.. if the front still vibrates and NOT the rear, then only the front rotors are warped...

if you have drum brakes in the rear, it's not likely to be warped.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:40 PM
Sabaka2
Unregistered

Had it in the shop today. Warped rotors it is. Thanks to all! Turning the rotors seems to have taken care of the issue. The car gets driven up and down a good-sized hill daily. Lots of braking coming off the hill is likely contributing factor to the warpage.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator

"Warped" rotors aren't usually physically warped. It's uneven deposits of pad material around the rotor.

Break in the newly-resurfaced rotors like this...
(Find a place where you can do this without being stupid in traffic.)
Brake REAL HARD from 50 to 10. DO NOT STOP.
Drive around for a few minutes for them to cool down.
Do that again5 or 10times.

One bad thing is toclamp down on the brakes at a complete stop, when they're still real hot. The rotors cool down very unevenly because one area is covered by the brake pads. Your hill is aperfect example & there's no good way to avoid that. After doing the procedure above, the rotors seem to tolerate it better.