General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Should I prime the engine with oil??? how to do safely do so after oil change

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 02:15 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Should I prime the engine with oil??? how to do safely do so after oil change

Should I prime the engine with oil??how to do so safely after oil change

94 Honda Accord LX 2.2 liter 4 cylinder 5 speed manual no ABS brakes

I have been working on another issue (antifreeze leak)on my 94 Honda Accord LX 2.2 liter 4 cylinder 5 speed manual no ABS brakes

Yesterday, I removed both the bottom and top oil drain plugs (the regular bottom oil plug below the oil pan and top oil plug two inches below the oil filter) oil and filter, and replaced the bottom oil plug and put on new oil filter.

Today, I replaced the top oil plug and and put in 3 1/2 quarts of oil the oil into the top of the engine. Measured the dipstick which indicated full.

I have done oil changes before without priming this car, but I never removed this second oil plug two inches below the oil filter before

I was wondering about the need to prime the engine so that oil get throughout the engine before starting the car, and how to do so?????

I read of someone priming the engine by removing the ECU fuse and spark plugs, cranking the engine six times (10 second crank with 15 second break between cranks). I read this ECU fuse stops the computer from working so car will not run

I have never touched any fuse box before not sure which fuse is the ecu fuse anyways or how to even open fuse box without breaking it

I never done these things before so not sure on this.Damaging the cars computer or engine not something I want to do

Old 08-18-2011, 09:34 AM
Supper Moderator

I always fill my filter with oil when doing a oil change. Less of a dry start and less ware and tear on the engine. I normally use a qt. of Lucas oil stabilizer with all my oil changes. That’s what I will fill the filter up with then dump the rest in the crank case.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:19 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I put some oil (a few ounces from the filter I replaced) in the new filter as I was only replacing the filter on this oil change.

My anxiety arising from removing this secondary oil plug two inches below the oil filter that I just reinstalled. I removed it as I have an antifreeze leak in this area and trying to find the source though might been this plug which turned out to really be a secondary oil plug

I have done oil and filter changes before, never primed the engine, but never removed that secondary oil plug before so anxious on whether or not need to prime engine after removing this plug.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:35 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Not having experience with priming the engine, I just started car like after any oil change oil light went out quickly like with other oil changes I done in the past, no problems noticed, thank goodness.