General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is a good check list for making a 1993 Accord make a long trip safely?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 04:38 PM
Default What is a good check list for making a 1993 Accord make a long trip safely?

Apparently my woman is convinced she needs to go back to "living for the lord" and she's running away to work for this lady she knows from church.

So of course I want to make sure she does not break down in the way there (she is real sick lately, and it has affected her mind, and she can not handle ANYTHING much less a break down- vehicle or otherwise)

I would really hate to see her break down. Brakes are good, tires are okay - will be replacing the rear tires before she goes, I changed the plugs, will do wires... oil is pretty fresh.. Coolant is good, radiator new

What else is likely to break down on a long trip? Also doing some other little **** like the fuel filter and air filter to try and be sure she makes it (she of course has NO plan of action in the case of a breakdown- vehicle or otherwise)

The car has always very rarely not started now and then. . very rarely, usually when it's real hot out. But also does it when the weather is mild, too. But very very rarely. Probably the main relay--- if I just tell her to not shut it off when she stops, that should be okay, yeah??

It is only a 700 mile trip but that may as well be a million when you break down with no money.. And what she got sick with has affected her mind, so she can't handle ANYTHING and I'm worried to death and want to be sure she makes it

Thanks!!

Old 02-05-2012, 05:14 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

tires are always the most likely to fail item on a car IMO

Old 02-05-2012, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

For long trips, tire air pressure and fluid levels are what I check. For extra measure, also check that headlights and other bulbs are in working order.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:28 PM

I'd like to get the fuel pump done but it's too expensive.. I can't really think of anything else... I check the tire pressure and fluids often, hopefully she will too

Old 02-05-2012, 07:30 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

best check list is what you've had to do the last 3 months.

Peace-of-mind: AAA membership, [lock-out service, run out of gas 5 gal free service, upgraded to "AAA plus" status (Plus will tow 100 free vs. an intown 7)].
should be able to sign up over the phone if credit card; be sure to ask how it works if needed before the membership card arrives in mail.

Luck, in the car and all things ...

Old 02-05-2012, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by UhOh
best check list is what you've had to do the last 3 months.

Peace-of-mind: AAA membership, [lock-out service, run out of gas 5 gal free service, upgraded to "AAA plus" status (Plus will tow 100 free vs. an intown 7)].
should be able to sign up over the phone if credit card; be sure to ask how it works if needed before the membership card arrives in mail.

Luck, in the car and all things ...

You are so right about AAA!!! I got some package for $87 from them and have had $500 worth of towing!! The $87 plan got me 3 100 mile tows plus 1 250 mile tow!! (If you ask them to waive the starter fee, they sometimes will!)

Old 02-05-2012, 10:27 PM

Some things I typically check:
1 - spare tire pressure
2 - oil level
3 - coolant level
4 - washer fluid
5 - brake fluid level
6 - If window wiper blades are old - replace with new ones

Old 02-06-2012, 09:28 AM

If the lord want's her to live with him, she shouldn't have any problems.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Jet sitter
If the lord want's her to live with him, she shouldn't have any problems.
I'm a Christian man all of my life.. I have nothing against her going to colorado to work for her little church friend.. I won't ever give into religious guilt or shame for the nature I was created with, ever again, though.. and I have begun to question translations of certain parts of the word. The last couple of years I have opened my eyes wide and looked for raw truth without bias.. some of my beliefs have changed, but I am still a Christian man..

The thing is, she's been badly sick and it messes with her mind- she is NOT good to people right now- those poor fools (they are good solid Christian people but they have NO IDEA of what they are in for with this ..sweet innocent.. little woman) will grow tired of her very quickly, and by then I won't be around and then she'll really have a problem!! I have walked through hell for this woman, you know, she disappeared for two weeks one time and I found her half dead in an apartment she was never allowed to rent, never paid for, etc. . . If she runs out on me again, I have had all I can handle. She didn't so much as call or anything.

Long long story!!

I should not be rambling about it on here
Woman has be beside myself with worry

Old 02-07-2012, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like you have a complicated situation.

I would check all fluids or change any fluids that are due: oil, transmission, brake, coolant, power steering, windshield.

The next thing I would check maintenance items or change ones that are due: spark plugs, distributor cap, distributor rotor, pcv valve, wiper blades, and air filter. Make sure all tires (including the spare) are inflated to the proper pressure.

Clean all the windows and mirrors. Clean all ends of both battery cables. You might as well stop by a parts store and have the battery/alternator/starter tested.

I would lubricate the brake slider pins with silicone grease.

Also check the suspension. Turn the steering wheel until it locks. Jack up each side, and try to push/pull the tires at the 3/9 o'clock position. Then the 12/6 o'clock position. There should be very little play.

Probably the most important tool she can have is a cell phone on a long trip. If she doesn't have on, you can get a cheap track phone in case there is an emergency. AAA is an excellent suggestion.

Quick Reply: What is a good check list for making a 1993 Accord make a long trip safely?