General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side airbag dashboard light stays on after rain

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 12:32 PM
Default Side airbag dashboard light stays on after rain

I have a 2007 Honda Accord Sedan.

I mistakenly left the passenger side window slightly open overnight. Saw this morning that the the seat side closest to the door got wet. Not soaking wet, but got wet. I immediately dried what I could with paper towels

Ever since, the Side Airbag dashboard light that normally goes off shortly after starting the car, stays on constantly. I would appear that a sensor at some location got wet or fried. Not sure if allowing time to dry would make this go away on it's own or I would have to proactively look somewhere.

I did noticed that the light near the hazard button for the airbag turns on and off when the seat belt is plugged in/removed

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by cmjb13; 09-28-2018 at 12:35 PM.
Old 09-28-2018, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

The first thing I would do is dismantle as much as you can to allow it to dry. There is probably wiring connections under the carpeting, and in my experience that takes forever to dry out unless you remove the seat and lift up the carpeting.

You may find that the seat cover has a zipper somewhere that you can open to get more air in there.

The seat will have a couple electrical connectors underneath, then 4 points to unbolt before you can move the seat aside.

Airbag wiring should be covered in bright yellow looms so it's easy to see. Before unplugging any of that, try to get a manual or advice from someone who has done it. There might be some connectors that you have to leave connected for the airbag. You don't want it to go off in your face as you're working.

Old 09-28-2018, 06:37 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Let it dry you should be fine.

2 years ago I left my sunroof open while out of town for 2 weeks. There was a few days of heavy rain and when I got back my leather was shriveled all up. That was it. No lights or nothing. I guess it dried up before I got back. Give it a few days and keep your windows cracked to air it out before putting time and effort in to it

Old 09-29-2018, 11:27 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Or take it to the dealer, and see if they can fix it. I believe that might be covered under some sort of warranty since it's part of the "safety" system.
We took my wife's 2000 Accord in for the SRS light, and they found a bad sensor on the belt was turning the light on. They ordered a part, and notified us when to bring it back in for replacement. No charge on the part or labor. That was back in the fall of 2013.