General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'side airbag off' light occasionally comes on

Old 11-26-2018, 12:56 AM
Default 'side airbag off' light occasionally comes on

Self explanatory... 2003 Accord V6 EX 183k miles. Now and then the 'side airbag off' light seems to come on for a couple of seconds. It only has happened while a friend of mine was in the passenger seat but usually shifting their weight around somehow, like sitting up in the seat to try and get their jacket off somehow (being stuck on their elbow) and similar things... leading to mutual confusion.. as we looked around the car wondering if he had somehow touched some switch I didn't know existed to turn the side airbag off. (like a different friend I know has a newer chevy impala that seems to have a switch that turns it off for like when you have something like a heavy toolbox on the seat, not a person, or probably a childs carseat i suppose needs that switch... except i see no switch in this honda i'm aware of, although i'm still sorta new to the car so maybe it's hidden somehow :P cept it doesnt stay on.. its only on 3-4 seconds then back off) This has happened like 4-5 times now that i've seen it with a passenger in the car.

What is occuring and do i have to be concerned?

Old 11-26-2018, 04:46 AM
Super Moderator

The SRS light turning on should cause a code to be stored by the SRS unit. I am sure dealership can scan the SRS codes. You may want to stop by a parts store and see if their scanner can read the SRS codes.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:21 AM

These cars have no on and off switch. The sensor handles that operation. You might have a faulty sensor or the person sitting in the seat was under 100lbs (or applying less weight at the time). I would suggest cleaning your seat buckle or replace it if it's bad.

Last edited by Seanjordan20; 11-26-2018 at 09:29 AM.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

If it only happens momentarily when the passenger is moving around, then maybe the system is operating as it should.
The sensors are probably trying to detect whether it's an actual person sitting in the seat.

Old 11-26-2018, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
If it only happens momentarily when the passenger is moving around, then maybe the system is operating as it should.
The sensors are probably trying to detect whether it's an actual person sitting in the seat.
That's what I'm thinking is happening. I guess the question that should be asked is does it happen when someone is not trying to take off a jacket and sitting is in the seat normal